Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few weeks ago that my Zukini would buck if I let off the gas, kinda like it did when you first learned how to drive a clutch if you didn't give it enough gas. I knew something wasn't right, but it was so random and not enough to bother me. Now tonight is the first time I have had it out in cooler temps than when I noticed it previously. It's about 48 degrees out and all the way home on my 7 mile trip it would do that uncontrollable bucking if I let off the accelerator in the slightest, even when going 45+MPH. The only thing that stops it from happening is to either accelerate, or put in the clutch and start over accelerating. Does anyone have a clue where I should start? And if this could have anything to do with the high RPMs? It used to idle high for a while till my mechanic neighbor disconnected some vacuum lines from various places while trying to troubleshoot. I put them all back where they belong rather than "cheating" a car into running better. Now it idles high even after it's more than warmed up.
Latest things done were the whole timing belt, water pump, crank/cam seal, VC gasket etc replacements, although the timing has not been set yet as I don't know how and my neighbor has been a little too busy to come by to show me how to do that. If you need more info or have more questions that may help you answer, please ask.
Thanks,
Chrissy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will I be looking for something pretty obvious, or something only someone who has seen what to look for before would recognize? Are we talking about cracks, or clean breaks in the mounts?
Just so I can try and understand this, why would a mount make the truck buck? I'm not questioning your knowledge, just trying to understand the relationship. I just assumed it had something to do with it not actually running right where the engine was concerned.
Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think I understand why you said to check the mounts. I'm guessing that by decelerating, any change would really be exaggerated through the drivetrain if it's not all tight. And maybe less noticeable, if noticeable at all when accelerating since accelerating is sort of applying force, or whatever the proper terminology might be. Am I understanding right, or did I just make up a bunch of stuff that made sense to me in my own little head?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tintop--geez that would be excellent if that turns out to be all it is. It's really annoying, not to mention that it just bugged me wondering what the heck it could be or where to start looking? Maybe that also explains the sort of noisy, almost clanging of the body (I thought it was the body slamming around) when it does the bucking. It sounds like something is loose. I bet you're right and I can't wait to take a look tomorrow!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so what might your next guess be? I took a look and although I don't know exactly what to look for regarding a broken mount, it sounds self explanatory and I didn't see anything wrong with any of them. I took pics in case someone wants to check my work peeking around under there, but I won't post them unless someone asks. Any other ideas? Could it actually be something in the way the engine is running?

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can look at it all day and it will look the same. Looking at them you can't tell. It's in the rubber area that goes. Try jacking up the engine... The side that is broke will raise up. (or, set the ebrake, chock the wheels and slowly let out the clutch, in gear. The broken side will raise.) I normally do the jack method. Safer.
Use the same jack to check the transfer case mounts, and the trany mount.
I think I also used a pry bar on some mounts... just can't remember what ones.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thanks. I'll do that this weekend. I just didn't know if a broken mount mean the bolts that hold it in place would be broken or missing (and the bolts were all there), or the metal mount itself be broken or cracked. And if I do the jack method on the tranny and transfer case mount, they should not move at all, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The rubber may stretch a little, but if the mount is broken you will know right away when you jack it up because it will be evident that the mount is in two pieces.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So just to be clear, I am taking a floor jack to the underside of the tranny and jacking it up. Then to the underside of the transfer case and doing the same thing? (And also the engine).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you're just lifting up on the engine. I think that if the passenger side mount is broken it will lift on acceleration, and if the drivers side mount is broken it will lift on downshifting and decelleration. I might have that backwards.... but I think that's right. Just lift the engine up a little and look to see if one of the mounts seperates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts