Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what happened, but somehow one of the buttons on the Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB head unit in our 2017 Ignis has stopped working. I don't think it's water damage, and everything else about the unit is working (to the extent that it ever did, it's a real piece of garbage to use). I've updated to the latest firmware and I'm almost certain it's not a problem with the software.

I'm quite new to having a car -- what do you do to fix something like this? Is it typically expensive to get repairs or replacements for a head unit like this?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm not sure what happened, but somehow one of the buttons on the Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB head unit in our 2017 Ignis has stopped working. I don't think it's water damage, and everything else about the unit is working (to the extent that it ever did, it's a real piece of garbage to use). I've updated to the latest firmware and I'm almost certain it's not a problem with the software.

I'm quite new to having a car -- what do you do to fix something like this? Is it typically expensive to get repairs or replacements for a head unit like this?
Just checking that it's a button on the head rather than the steering wheel remote that's stopped working? If it's the head unit - does the same function work OK on the remote? Does the volume bar appear on the screen when you press the switch? It may be worth squirting some electrical contact cleaner around the edges of the switch but leave for a couple of hours before then trying the switch. Pioneer have approved repairers in the UK. However it's a chew-on and a cost in removing the unit and sending off for repair. The repairer will confirm the repair cost having examined the unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for replying! The steering wheel buttons still work completely fine, it's only the button on the unit itself that doesn't (no volume bar appears, it doesn't react in any way). I'll give the contact cleaner a try!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks so much for replying! The steering wheel buttons still work completely fine, it's only the button on the unit itself that doesn't (no volume bar appears, it doesn't react in any way). I'll give the contact cleaner a try!
The fact that the remote works would tend to rule out a firmware problem. I think it's a long shot but it may be worth doing a reset. The reset is a small hole to the right of the switches. Use a pointed object pushed into the hole for a few seconds. If everything fails it may be worth phoning or emailing Dtronix (Pioneer authorised repairer) for advice.
PioneerDtronix Ltd2 Canons Road, Old Wolverton,Milton Keynes, Bucks. MK12 5TL01908 326180[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks! I updated the firmware to see if it would help, but no luck. I'll try a reset too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also have trouble with this pioneer unit the sat nav on it has just stopped working it just freezes and the touch screen is unresponsive when using the sat nav all other functions work fine. Only had car for 3 months is this something that will be covered under the Suzuki used car warranty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’m guessing that the car is 3+ years old and it’s possible that the firmware has never been updated. The Suzuki used car warranty should cover a fault with the unit since it covers originally supplied electrical equipment.

Before going to any trouble, it’s probably worth trying a reset of the unit. The reset button is far right on the switch panel at the bottom of the unit. Use a pointed object and push into the reset hole for a few seconds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m guessing that the car is 3+ years old and it’s possible that the firmware has never been updated. The Suzuki used car warranty should cover a fault with the unit since it covers originally supplied electrical equipment.

Before going to any trouble, it’s probably worth trying a reset of the unit. The reset button is far right on the switch panel at the bottom of the unit. Use a pointed object and push into the reset hole for a few seconds.
Yeah car is over 3 years old. Has the latest firmware and trued the reset button. The nav will load up and gain reception but then just freezes all other radio features work just when you go back to the map screen just goes blank. Shame as I really like the sat nav on this unit.

·
Registered
809 Posts
There are three different grades of Suzuki Extended warranty - Comprehensive, Select and Basic. Even the Comprehensive one I've just bought doesn't cover "Any part of a Satellite Navigation system". The Select only covers most of the mechanicals and the Basic just the engine and gearbox (refer to the full booklet for details).

You may be able to claim under basic Sales of Goods Act?

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
There are three different grades of Suzuki Extended warranty - Comprehensive, Select and Basic. Even the Comprehensive one I've just bought doesn't cover "Any part of a Satellite Navigation system". The Select only covers most of the mechanicals and the Basic just the engine and gearbox (refer to the full booklet for details).

You may be able to claim under basic Sales of Goods Act?
Gashead states that this was the Suzuki used car warranty scheme rather than an extended warranty. The used car warranty does cover originally fitted electrical equipment.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah car is over 3 years old. Has the latest firmware and trued the reset button. The nav will load up and gain reception but then just freezes all other radio features work just when you go back to the map screen just goes blank. Shame as I really like the sat nav on this unit.
The sat nav system has a plethora of features but is takes a ridiculous amount of time to load. It's also a pain having to go into the menu to adjust the sat nav volume. Many features are only enabled when the handbrake is applied though this can be "remedied".

·
Registered
11 Posts
No luck reset unit, has the latest firmware all else works . When I first start car the sat nav screen loads and then just freezes you can exit that by the home button but puch the map button again and all you have is a black screen, even after 1/2 hour of driving.

·
Registered
306 Posts
No luck reset unit, has the latest firmware all else works . When I first start car the sat nav screen loads and then just freezes you can exit that by the home button but puch the map button again and all you have is a black screen, even after 1/2 hour of driving.
I'm guessing but I'd say that Maps is somehow corrupted and a reload will sort the problem. Maps from Naviextras are expensive so I'd complain to the dealer under the used car warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
update. Things were getting worse with radio all functions began playing up touchscreen unresponsive and just doing random things. Anyway fingers crossed have managed to sort the whole thing out. Found that I had a sd card with music on it inserted with did not show up on radio took that out and straight away all problems have disappeared even sat nav back working.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts