Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 xl7. Engine died while driving it. Have it in the shop now and they are saying it looks like a broken timing chain. They said it needs a new engine and with labor I'm looking at 6000 to fix it. Does this seem true??

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Only the mechanic that disassembles the engine, inspects internals and provides you with the repair options will have that info.

Aside from that, we don't know the labor rates (wherever you are), and whether you are talking a rebuild of yours, a replacement re-manufactured engine, a good / used salvage engine or if installation is even included.

You say "new", but I doubt that is one from Suzuki. IF so...MAJOR dollars!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Kind of a new topic. We purchased an exteneded warranty on the vehicle for powertrain coverage. I didn't not realize until now that in the fine print it reads you must have a licensed dealer handle all oil changes or it voids the warranty. Being a little technically incline I have always done my own oil and filters on my vehicles, which I continued to do on this. Is there anyway around this clause ?

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Is it a "factory" Suzuki extended warrantee or one purchased and underwritten by a non-Suzuki private enterprise?

IF factory, then I think that all you need is evidence of maintenance / oil change records with accompanying product receipts. But if your contract stipulates "Licensed Dealer"' accomplishment then coverage is in all likelihood null and void. :(

An Attorney weigh-in might be your best course of action here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not a Suzuki warranty. It's by a company called drivers edge and that is how it reads. I think an attorney weigh in might be more expensive than what I am looking for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had this motor replaced in my '05 XL7 (2.7) it was right at $6,000.00 with a re-manufactured motor. The motor purchased was not the least expensive, they cost around 4,700.00 for a long block. The Suzuki dealer wanted 9,000.00 for a factory motor. We are still working throught a problem that we have since the motor replacement, the auto starts off in 4th gear unless manually is put in 3rd gear. we have no 1st gear. The mechanic and two transmission shops have looked at it to no avail

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
those are totally different animals. the 2.7 is a japanese engine.
the 2007 xl7 uses a GM 3.6L tranverse mount engine.
you should be able to find a decent used one for 1000-1500ish..

·
Registered
15 Posts
TampaGirl, my XL7 had 130,000 mi. on it before the timing tensioner failed. It is the #1 tensioner that is the problem, all else with these Suzukis are great and solid. I don't know the difference in construction between our respective years,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts