Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm new to this site but hoping yall can help me out. My 1987 Samurai has some issues with stalling out, and I think I've traced the problem to the noise suppressor (tach filter). Does anyone here have any idea what the part number is? And also, where I might be able to find a replacement?

sam

·
Administrator
17,741 Posts
33552-83000 - try megazip.net or amayama.com.

What makes you think the noise suppressor is the cause of the stalling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i took it to a mechanic for the stalling issue, and he showed me this diagram which made a lot of sense given the issue (basically, it'll stall sometimes while im driving, then won't restart unless you let it sit for 20 minutes):

·
Administrator
17,741 Posts
Has the mechanic actually seen the problem and had a chance to perform any testing, or is he going based on your reports?

Intermittent problems can be very difficult to track down and you may need to learn to do certain basic tests on your own - how to check for spark & fuel - fortunately the Samurai is a fairly simple vehicle to work on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah he said he tested it, and the issue was the spark. that said i definitely should learn to do it on my own; more fun that way anyway. is there a good resource you recommend for instructions on how to do it?

·
Administrator
17,741 Posts
If the issue is spark, the problem is unlikely to be the noise suppressor - read the bulletin - what it says is IF the ECU does not see spark it will activate the fuel cut solenoid, and that the a faulty noise suppressor can create a situation where spark is present but the ECU doesn't see it, and cuts fuel when it shouldn't.

If you're losing spark then you need to troubleshoot the ignition system to determine why - start with are you loosing spark at the plugs or at the coil tower.

The distributor has an igniter module that controls current flow in the coil primary circuit when then generates the spark in the coil secondary circuit which goes back to the distributor to be sent to the appropriate spark plug - it is possible to have spark at the coil secondary, but not have spark at the plugs, due to defective leads, rotor or cap, but these are unlikely to show up as intermittent or thermally related issues. A defective coil or igniter could both cause your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.