Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i was driving and i heard a clunking noise beneath my car. Then the car began to to vibrate A LOT. I can drive under 25 mph ok but when i hit above that i get more noise and vibration. I pulled over and found that the center support for my driveshaft is missing some parts. I ended up having to tow to my house for more time to think.

Not sure what could have caused this or if there could be a bigger problem.

Car is a 99 grand vitara. The driveshaft looks like a 2 piece assembly. Would like to stop by pick n pull to salvage another assembly.

1) does anyone have a manual to help me take the assembly off?
2) what possible problems should i check to see if its not only the driveshaft?

Thanks for all your help

Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so after some thinking about my recent driving habits, I do remember driving off a curb. The curb could have made impact on the driveshaft.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
does anyone have a manual to help me take the assembly off?
See...
Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

what possible problems should i check to see if its not only the driveshaft?
I would think that only the drive shaft, end u-joints and yoke would be suspect for damage. You can inspect for looseness / binding and signs of impact / bending, but only a drive-line specialty shop can check shaft true-ness and balance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks max! Looks like mostly nut and bolt assembly.

So I was looking around the junkyards and wasn't able to find a 99 or any other GV's.

Does anyone might happen to know of other compatible car models that run similar to the GV that I can cross examine and at what year?

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Just the Chevy Tracker of that era. Proly not any other makes or models though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to follow up. I took off my broken driveshaft from my car and took it to a driveline repair shop. They basically converted the 2 piece shaft into a 1 piece with a bigger OD tubing. The required info they needed from me was the distance from the transmission seal to the differential flange.

I got the part back within a week and all's good!! The bigger tube still clears the bottom cross member where the carrier bearing used to go. It visually looks like there's more than 2 inch clearance.

Much thank you for the manuals Max!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
My only concern with going one piece over a 2 section/hanger drive shaft, would be the additional stress on the output bearing in the T/C..

The original shaft configuration was designed to centrally load the bearing and case, whereas the new angle may induce stresses not factored into the T/C design.... Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They increased the diameter of the tubing. Which increases the moment of inertia and increases the allowable stress. But yes, you are correct, the angle induces new stresses that were not originally there. We will have to see.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
How did you manage to break down the driveshaft in order to FIT a mid-positioned center support bearing? :rolleyes:

And welcome aboard too.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
See...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts