Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started bringing an 89 Tracker 5-sp 4wd 2 door hardtop back to life that has been sitting for 12 years. So far what I have done is repaired all the wiring that the rats chewed up under the hood. The engine will crank with the key now. (When I rotate the steering column there is a beeping that will sound or go away when it is tweaked and the key is on... Is this something to be concerned about?

I also dropped the fuel tank and I have ordered everything new (fuel tank, pump hanger, pump and fuel level). The old gas smelled liked kerosene. Rats also chewed the fuel line going to the throttle body in two. Would it be wise to go open up the tb to clean and replace seals or wait and see what happens?

I also ordered a new timing belt and tensioner. I haven't ever replaced one before. I'm going to do some research on how this is done and adjustments. Will I be able to change it without adjusting the valves?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
There is tons of information on the forum about this car, timing belts, etc. And the 1996 FSM is free to download over on Acks FAQS
Ack's FAQ Site Map
The timing belt procedure on your car will be the same, even though your car is older. Despite some opinions here, it is the factory procedure to loosen the valves when doing the timing belt, and it is a good idea to check the valve lash anyway on a car that's been sitting around for 12 years.
Chances are you will need to clean the EGR (easy with carb cleaner), obviously tune up after your timing belt (plugs gapped to .028") - all of which will be in the mechanical section in the FSM.
I'm assuming that the beeping that you are getting with the steering column is wiring regarding the 'warning alarm controller' which normally would beep if you leave your keys in the ignition, etc. This is an electronic beep, yes??
It is normally a good idea to do the 60,000 mile check when starting up on a car that hasn't been used in years - changing all filters, fluids, etc., tune up, timing belt, checking brakes, cooling system, hoses, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts