Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just commented on another post and it got me thinking about transfer and gearbox breathers and i was just wondering where they are situated on a 93 sierra and are they hard to get to to be able to extend them to the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The breather on the T-case is just like the ones on the diffs. Just pull off the cap with a set of pliers and add a hose.

The one for the trans is a bit complicated. It has the same kind of cap, but the proximity to the trans tunnel makes it hard to make a graceful bend in any breather hose. I have seen where folks have removed the tube and replaced it with a 90 degree elbow by cutting and tapping it for the elbow to screw in. But be careful. the aluminum trans shell is not the most forgiving if you make a mistake.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a question,Whats the reason for the breathers to these?Does it help anything?
The concern about the breathers going off road is preventing water from sucking in through them when you drive in deep water. If the differential is warm, and you go in deep water for a while, they will cool and potentially suck in water if the breather is under water. Guess the same can happen to the transfer case and tranny? My next project is to run a hose from the dif breathers to a higher spot that is above the water line. Will probably also do the transfer case at the same time. I never noticed a breather on the tranny when I had it out. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts