Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just changed the wheel cylinders on both sides and even added new brake pipes, but now my brakes are a bit random.
When im done bleeding the brakes the brakes work very good the first minute when i test drive it. After a bit i might need to pump the brakes 2-3 times to make them work again ( They work perfect when i pump the brakes ) but not good at all when i just hold the brake pedal down.

Have i done a poor job bleeding the brakes? or might it be something else

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
Exactly what model specs? Rear shoes I presume, but ABS or no?

A bleeding issue is high on the list of problems here.

Did you adjust the shoes properly?

See this FAQ'd thread for guidance...

Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what model specs? Rear shoes I presume, but ABS or no?

A bleeding issue is high on the list of problems here.

Did you adjust the shoes properly?
See this FAQ'd thread for guidance...

Welcome aboard! :)
Rear shoes yes , and it should be ABS. SUZUKI Grand Vitara I, 98-05, 2.0-16V TDi Diesel Wagon 109 hk 07.01-09.05, RHW should be the model.

I was supposed to change the brake shoes once, but i ordered wrong so ended up just removing them and putting them back on, when you mention it i think they are maxed out when i removed the holder(the one where you use bolts to get it off) So i guess i will have to look at the adjusting part again.

Thanks for that

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd say bleed them again - do all 4, starting with the front left (shortest line) to front right, rear right, then rear left. And recheck your connections where you spliced in the new line. It sounds to me like you've got air in there somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
No! You start with the wheel FURTHEST from the Master Cylinder. ;)

One uniqueness to some year / model Vitara's is the use of interconnected rear wheel cylinders which have only a single bleed screw aft, at the left rear,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey i made a video of what i think is the problem after checking out your tips guys.

looks like the problem is with the adjusting device(?)

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
Tough to see the video detail, but is the adjusting linkage (tip) even contacting the adjuster pawl / star-wheel?

And did you turn the adjuster wheel to have the shoes JUST lightly rub the drum when assembled?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its touching in the start but it falls off when he used the brake pedal, and no i didnt when assembled

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
And applying the brakes with the drums off is never a good idea;

1. You can launch the normally restrained pistons out the cylinder bores

2. And actuation of that magnitude isn't representative of the actual linkage movement required for brake operation, thus not a proper diagnostic advantage to observe. You are OVER extending the shoes / linkage in your drum-off testing, in other words.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No! You start with the wheel FURTHEST from the Master Cylinder. ;)

Oops - red faced me! The last time I googled this it was for a Civic. You are absolutely right for Suzis, and most other vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think im going to order new brake shoes before i continue, thanks for the help so far. Appreciate it

·
Registered
253 Posts
+1 on the rear brakes being the problem. Funny I just answered this question yesterday.

Also +1 on blowing the pistons out of the calipers. Except make SURE to keep your fingers out of the caliper body. Ask my partial fingernail how I know that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The suzuki rear brake adjuster pawl is different from the one on the chevy tracker, pre 2001 anyway. I had two left ones but none for the right side. Try to find one... I ended up using my torch to heat up the R side part and folded all the bends 180 degrees to form the pawl for the L side. Voila, worked like a charm.

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was referring to Chevy parts (91174607, 91174606) which are also available frorm secondary sources but not from the dealership. They are also not interchangeable with the suzuki parts.

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
But you said "The Suzuki rear brake adjuster pawl ..... Try to find one..."

And FWIW, those GM numbers you provided don't pan out as brake parts which might be part of your problem.

Google them...

Sourced from GM Wholesale GM Parts Online:

91174606 · HOSE, Front Axle HOSE,FRONT DRIVE AXLE ACTUATOR LOWER VACUUM.

91174607 Lever. Transmission control lever. Lever, a/trns cont. Chevrolet S10. Genuine Chevrolet Part - 91175467

And beyond that, you'll find that the Suzuki available Brake Pawl Levers FIT the same era tracker. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, I was off one digit. 91174806 / 07. Thank you Max for making sure everyone knows which parts are associated with my error instead of posting the correct part numbers, which I have done.

My intention was to be helpful to the poster, in that s/he may not want to rely on Chevy parts for the repair. I stand by what I said. I have examined both closely and the rear brake ratcheting mechanisms are not interchangeable as between Tracker and Grand Vitara for 2001 vehicles and prior. After 2001, I don't know, but GM lists the same part for trackers 99-04 which was the last year of 2nd gen Tracker production in the USA. So I believe there is some bad advice here.

·
Super Moderator
17,607 Posts
Well, I was off one digit. 91174806 / 07. Thank you Max for making sure everyone knows which parts are associated with my error instead of posting the correct part numbers, which I have done.

My intention was to be helpful to the poster, in that s/he may not want to rely on Chevy parts for the repair.
Ugh...didn't you notice that no poster in this thread is even concerned with a Tracker vehicle, thus looking for Chevy parts? :whistle:

Which brings up another point...why do you somehow think that the obligation is on me to source for you the correct Chevy part numbers? I only observed that what you provided was apparently in error, part number wise. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts