Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This '96 Geo Tracker is my second Tracker. On both cars, I have had the same problem...the brakes (both, but front much louder) squeal when the car has sat parked for an hour or more. After driving for a mile or so, and/or applying the brakes several times, the noise is almost completely gone.

I live in San Diego CA, and it is usually quite low humidity. Apparently, though the discs and drums acquire a light coating of rust very quickly. I just replaced the front rotor and pads with OEM-grade replacements, coating the outsides of the pads with no squeal compound.

Is this a common problem with Trackers? Did I forget to do something when I changed the pads/rotors?

TIA,
Walt

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Its not a problem that I've had, did you check that the pistons and the sliders moved freely?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did, Rhino. Installed new slider rods and lubed, pistons are free and no leaks.

Thanks for the thought!

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Hi wnovinger. Your posts indicate you have been very thorough so far, so congrats on that.

On my 95 Tracker there are thin metal shims that go in between the brake pad and the caliper piston. Many times these practically rust away and get discarded by previous owners. I wonder if your 96 is supposed to have those and if they are missing.

On a slight side note: When I was Catalog Manager at Wagner Brake, the marketing department wanted to start including liquid anti-squeal packets instead of the slightly more expensive shims in the higher end brake pad packages. The Engineering department almost went on strike. Their point was that those shims are the OEM designed best way to avoid brake squeal.

All that being said, I have worked on other cars that even with new pads, rotors and shims, they squealed. One method that has worked for me was to grind a crosshatch onto the rotor using a
drill and sanding pad. Dont know why that worked, but it did.

good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy,

Thanks for the reply. Although there were no shims present when I removed the old pads, the factory service manual shows them behind both inboard and outboard pads. According to the supplier from whom I got the new pads, the new pads supposedly have integral shims. I have looked at all the online sources I know about, and cannot find the anti-noise shims referenced in the factory manual. Probably long out of production. Any ideas for a source?

BTW, the discs I put on the car have a nice crosshatch pattern on them already. Funny, I remember doing with a drill what you suggested years ago when I was doing brakes on one or another of the various heaps I've owned through the years. :) When I saw the new ones for the Tracker I thought "Nice, one less thing to do."

Thanks, again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts