Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chevrolet Epica (dec-2006) with 140 000 km.

Last months I have problems with the brake.

The pedal feels "soft" and "spongy" instead of firm. There's air in the system. When "bleeding the brakes" to remove air from the lines, calipers and wheel cylinders, everything is ok for about 2 weeks. After that the brake pedal feels soft and spongy again.

The fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir stays ok. There is no leak in the hydraulic system. I have the master cylinder replaced for a new one 4 weeks ago but I have the same problem again :(. Any suggestions what it could be? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,168 Posts
A few suggestions ...

First - check the brake calipers and make sure the slide pins move freely - a sticking or siezed slide pin can also cause the brakes to feel soft and/or spongy.

Second - is the handbrake mechanism free and working properly.

Finally - do you have ABS and if so, was the correct bleeding procedure followed. I do not know if the Epica has a specific bleeding procedure for it's ABS system, but I do know that some vehicles require the ABS system to be bled using a dealer tool that manipulates the ABS modulator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all thanks for your reply fordem :).

All brake calipers are checked and slide pins move freely.

No problems with the handbrake mechanism. It's working properly.

Yes I do have ABS. The correct bleeding procedure is followed. Because after the bleeding procedure the brakes are ok and the pedal is hard and brakes good. After one or 2 weeks the pedal is getting soft again. Repeating the bleeding procedure will fix it for 1 or 2 weeks.

The new master cilinder did not fix this problem. What else can it be? Suggestions are more then welcome :). Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts