Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have noticed that my front right hand brake pads are making a squeak and have decided to change them myself, I have worked on motorcycles for years but never a car so thought its about time i got my hands dirty :)
Can anyone recommend a decent brand of pads for my 2002 Ignis 1.3gl I have looked on Ebay and there are loads at different prices/brands also do i need to replace the discs when i change the pads?

Is there any special tools I will need to do the job? and does anyone have a link to the procedure maybe a pdf?

Cheers
Hamish
ps forgot to mention I am in the UK

·
Registered
24 Posts
Late reply,
I always use the known brands.
Depends on your country.
TRW, Lucas, EBC. Not expensive, not worth saving a few bucks and buy nonames.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Make sure the anti squeak shims are still in place and use copper grease. I also find that the semicircular recesses in the calipers that the pads sit in can get gummed up/corroded causing the pads to stick - on one set I ended up grinding little burrs off the pad plates so they fitted properly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Having time on my hands at the moment - I went ahead with changing the pads and discs on my 2017 Ignis even though the brakes would have been OK for a while longer. A very straightforward job - around an hour to do both sides. In case you attempt the job, just to forewarn that the calliper to hub bolts have Torx E heads. If you don’t have a suitable socket, you’ll be stuck - don’t be tempted to try a tight fitting hexagon socket - Torx bolts are a pig to remove if you damage the head. There are other TorxE bolts on the Ignis and my advice would be to buy a set of sockets for around £12 rather than pay £5 or so for a single socket.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmm I think I’d do more damage to ourselves trying it than I would having worn brakes! Seeing as the car is almost unused now, I’ll leave it I think.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hmm I think I’d do more damage to ourselves trying it than I would having worn brakes! Seeing as the car is almost unused now, I’ll leave it I think.
Yeah, we should get insurance rebates. I am beginning to wonder if I'll forget how to drive. lol
They should have put tax and basic insurance on petrol then it would be payg.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, we should get insurance rebates. I am beginning to wonder if I'll forget how to drive. lol
They should have put tax and basic insurance on petrol then it would be payg.
I’m going to SORN the van tomorrow.
Never thought I’d do that!
But at least motoring costs are low!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'll be laying up Agnes indefinitely so not insuring or taxing it but the beater is still there for one time trips to get meds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts