Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on the net and read a thread that said if you placed the calipers of a 4 Door sidekick and replaced the rotors you could get more "stopping power"

Is that just BS or does it actually stop better with the modification.
since I have to replace basically everything on the sidekick I got due to rust in the system I figured if it actually did stop better then I would get the calipers etc to replace them with that of a 4 door if it worked and I didn't have to go hunting for brackets etc.

Has anyone done this modification and if so does it actually Brake better? How hard is it to do the upgrade and does the mastercylinder have to be swapped for something larger?

Any information would be appreciated
thanks for reading

·
Registered
616 Posts
Putting 4-door ventilated rotors and calipers on a first-gen two-door Sidekick/Tracker OR a Samurai is a common and simple modification.

The only downside is the fact that brake pedal travel will increase as you are pumping more brake fluid into larger-bore calipers. Because of this, many who do this mod will also switch to a larger master cylinder.

Do a search for 4-door brakes at Ack's FAQ (link in signature, below) to access two posts that describe this modification.

I will be doing this mod on a Samurai that I am installing a VW 1.9 TDI in. I found a set of calipers and rotors in a salvage yard for this. I will be using the calipers as cores for remanufactured (or maybe new) calipers for this installation.

I hope that this helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering. I ordered new calipers for the stock portion. I was wondering how would I order the calipers for the 4door ? since when i I gave the year and model only one part showed up? What year would I have to give in order to get the larger calipers and would I need a different bracket to Bolt it on the front??

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just specify caliper assembly and rotor for any 4-door Tracker or Sidekick from 1989 to 1996. VERY IMPORTANT: Do not tell them you have a 2-door! Parts counter people are easily confused. Play it safe and tell him/her you have a 1994 4-door. :D

The calipers have the exact-same mounting layout as the smaller calipers - which makes the modification incredibly easy. Just take off the old caliper assembly and bolt the new, larger one on!

Don't forget to bleed the brakes after installation!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts