Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JDM Every chassis code DF51V. I recently installed a new stereo, and have lost my brake lights. Now when I press on the brakes, my High beam light on my dash lights up. There were only 2 wires running into my old stereo, one of which I have confirmed loses power when I press on the brakes. Anyone know where those wires are supposed to go?

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
It would be VERY unusual for a car stereo system to have only two wires connected to it - as a general rule, there are THREE for the POWER, along with another four for the speakers (eight if there are rear speakers), and none of these would be in any way interconnected with the brakes.

The fact that the high beam tell tale comes on when the brake is pressed suggests that you have a disconnected ground wire somewhere under the dash, but, because documentation for the JDM vehicles is hard to come by, it's hard to figure out where you have gone wrong from a distance. A competent car audio technician should be able to figure things out without the documentation, if you can find one local to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be VERY unusual for a car stereo system to have only two wires connected to it - as a general rule, there are THREE for the POWER, along with another four for the speakers (eight if there are rear speakers), and none of these would be in any way interconnected with the brakes.

The fact that the high beam tell tale comes on when the brake is pressed suggests that you have a disconnected ground wire somewhere under the dash, but, because documentation for the JDM vehicles is hard to come by, it's hard to figure out where you have gone wrong from a distance. A competent car audio technician should be able to figure things out without the documentation, if you can find one local to you.
Installed it with a friend of mine who is a competent audio technician. We have determined that the brake light ground was in the harness for the previous stereo.

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
We have determined that the brake light ground was in the harness for the previous stereo.
It would be highly unusual for any vehicle to be wired this way - the brake light ground is going to be shared with the tail lights and is going to be at the back of the vehicle NOT in the stereo harness.

You start by asking us to believe that the old stereo had only two wires, and now you're telling us that one of those two wires is the brake light ground - sorry, I'm not buying either statement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You start by asking us to believe that the old stereo had only two wires, and now you're telling us that one of those two wires is the brake light ground - sorry, I'm not buying either statement.
Picture of the old stereo's wiring harness. 2 wires coming out. One of the wires formerly attaches gets 12v until I press on the brakes.
Automotive design Material property Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive tire

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
Picture of the old stereo's wiring harness. 2 wires coming out. One of the wires formerly attaches gets 12v until I press on the brakes.
A picture showing two wires coming out of a connector that can obviously hold many more - what does that prove? It suggests that many more wires have been removed prior to the picture being taken.

For a stereo to work you're going to need a minimum of FOUR wires, power, ground and a left & right output to the speakers, that would have to be a very low powered stereo since it would be using the ground as the return for the speakers.

Most car stereos have FOUR speakers, which do NOT use the ground as a return, so that is EIGHT wires for the speakers alone, along with THREE wires for power, one to power the unit, one to power the "keep alive" memory/clock function and the ground, so a typical car stereo will have at least ELEVEN wires. Newer units will have many more features, and many more wires.

I've been around "ICE" or In Car Entertainment systems for four decades, before cars had basic radio as standard equipment, and even they had more than two wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A picture showing two wires coming out of a connector that can obviously hold many more - what does that prove? It suggests that many more wires have been removed prior to the picture being taken.

For a stereo to work you're going to need a minimum of FOUR wires, power, ground and a left & right output to the speakers, that would have to be a very low powered stereo since it would be using the ground as the return for the speakers.

Most car stereos have FOUR speakers, which do NOT use the ground as a return, so that is EIGHT wires for the speakers alone, along with THREE wires for power, one to power the unit, one to power the "keep alive" memory/clock function and the ground, so a typical car stereo will have at least ELEVEN wires. Newer units will have many more features, and many more wires.

I've been around "ICE" or In Car Entertainment systems for four decades, before cars had basic radio as standard equipment, and even they had more than two wires.
I am aware that most have many more wires. There was only one speaker originally in the vehicle, and is in the old stereo. It was a low powered stereo as it was just AM. I didn't remove any wires from it, and to my knowledge the previous owner didn't either, although there is always the possibility that they did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts