Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brake light, on the instrument panel, of my 95 Geo Tracker won't go out all of a sudden. Brakes work fine, no change. And the master is full, no change. Other than a bad wire to the parking brake, is there any other reason why this light stays on all the time?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Can you advise what you are driving (or better yet, put it in your signature).
The brake light on the dash is extremely sensitive to the very slightest drop in brake fluid in the master cylinder. So make sure that it is topped up.
Assuming that you fluid is topped up properly - and that your parking brake is fully down, by the way, and also assuming that you have rear wheel anti lock brakes, then it is possible that you have a code in the brake computer - you get codes from it basically the same way you do for the ECU - but it will not flash out codes if the light is on because the fluid is a bit low, or if its activated by the parking brake. The diagnostic connector for it is near the fuse panel under the dash, near the main and fuel pump relays - it's got 2 rows of pins that are use - 3 on top and 5 on the bottom. With your ignition key to the on position, you jump the bottom right pin to the second pin from the left on the top row. You must keep the key in the on position and record your code - unlike the regular ECU, often if you turn the ignition key off, the code will be erased and only come up again when the brake computer sees the fault again - it is often erased from memory. There are 11 codes.
First, make sure that your brake fluid is truly up to the level it should be, and make sure that the switch for the parking brake isn't keeping the light on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks,
Sorry, I thought "95 Geo Tracker", in my original post, as a description of what I was driving was enough. It is a 2 door 95 Geo Tracker 4X4 with a 5 speed transmission and 16 valve engine with manual lock in hubs.
I know the fluid is up to level, so I'll check the switch to the parking brake next.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
It will be easier if you put the description of your car into your signature, so that it's always there.
Anyway, aside from your car's specs - do you have rear wheel anti lock brakes, or the load sensor proportioning valve brake system for the rear brakes??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts