Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had your brake light on your zuk come on and stay on?It seems to be working properly (stopping & handbrake)??Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
theres an electric switch that's triggered by the brake pedal. If the wires going to it are shorted or if the switch is bad, it can cause the brake lights to stay on. Check that switch to make sure it's operating correctly. If you unplug the switch and your lights go out you know the switch is faulty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you're talking about the light in the dash it most likely is the hand brake switch gone bad or out of adjustment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
checking brakes

Sense you're checking all of that you'll need to see if I've won the lotto there! Seriously, I have the dash light on also and sure enough the fluid level is down to the minimum line. However, that doesn't mean that I will top it off directly. Instead, I'll be checking the linings/pads. If you've changed linings before then you already know of the mess caused by topping the fluid. The question is how low is everything?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
oh! I thought He meant his tail light brake lights. Yeah the break light on the dash is usually low fluid in the brake reservoir.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unless you have had a sudden loss of brake fluid, you usually get an early warning every time you make a left hand turn as the brake light will flash as the brake fluid sloshes to the right side of the reservoir.

The e-brake switch wire runs underneath the driver seat and you should be able to first check that switch by unplugging the connector under the seat. If the light goes out, then it is either the switch or somewhere in the wire going to the connector.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
seems like the minimum fill line is about half way down the reservoir. Light could be on from a faulty switch on the E-brake or a short in the wiring to the ebrake switch. It passes under the drivers seat and could get a break or a snag if something gets stuffed under there and pushes the wires up into the seat runners or something.. another thing that could cause it to stay on is the fluid level sender being defective or sticking. There is a float in the cap to the master cylinder that might be sticking, causing it to indicate a low fluid level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had your brake light on your zuk come on and stay on?It seems to be working properly (stopping & handbrake)??Any ideas??
Did you find the answer to your brake warning light problem?
I'm having the same problem. I've topped off the brake fluid, tried disconnecting the wire to the hand brake, disconnected the connectors to the brake fluid resevoir and the perportioning valve.
I give up!
Any ideas???

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No sir,still there? Funny thing is that I have noticed is it only does it when its cold??? On warmer days it doesnt do it and if its off and as I come to a stop it comes on again?? Something is haywire for sure??? I really havent had the time to tear into it much though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There are two switches that you need to check:

1. handbrake - this switch is similar to the one in the door in that the switch is grounded. When depressed (handbrake down) is should not have continuity. When the handbrake is pulled up, it will complete the ground circuit and your brake light in the dash should light up. Since the wires for this switch run under the seat, you need to verify that the wires are in good condition and not possibly shorting out. You also need to check the switch on the handbrake to make sure it is working properly.

2. brake fluid level - there is switch here also that you need to check the continuity on. Check for continuity at the plug for the wires to this switch. It should be open. Now remove enough brake fluid from the reservoir so that the fluid level is below the switch. You should now have continuity. This switch completes a grounded circuit. Do not check for continuity on the harness side as the white/red wire may have 12v. If you don't have a change in the continuity in the switch between the fluid levels, then the switch is bad. leaving the plug disconnected will turn off the brake light indicator in the dash if the switch is stuck in a closed state. Try cleaning the switch and if that works, you probably need to flush all the old brake fluid out and replace it will new.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
KJ2837 sounds like a sticking or faulty sensor in the break fluid reservoir.

Baja Don, sounds like a shorted wire to one of the switches. Even if you disconnect the switch but the wire to the switch are grounded somewhere, the light will come on

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok,an update on my brake light problem.Many of you told me to check my fluid level,in which I did.The level showed a bit less than 1/2 way between min & max so I assumed it was ok.We all the 1st part of ASSume right?? Well,for the heck of it I filled it up to max and guess what.no more light???Thanks for all the info....

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a third swith that it might be

There is a third possibility. I took mine to a dealer and found out it was getting a RWAL break code. Rear Wheel Antilock Brake.
There is a RWAL valve that is located under the master cylinder. It's hard to see, but it's there. They wanted nearly $500 to replace it so I said forget it!
I'll live with the light on for now and maybe find a valve in a u-pullit or something.

There are two switches that you need to check:

1. handbrake - this switch is similar to the one in the door in that the switch is grounded. When depressed (handbrake down) is should not have continuity. When the handbrake is pulled up, it will complete the ground circuit and your brake light in the dash should light up. Since the wires for this switch run under the seat, you need to verify that the wires are in good condition and not possibly shorting out. You also need to check the switch on the handbrake to make sure it is working properly.

2. brake fluid level - there is switch here also that you need to check the continuity on. Check for continuity at the plug for the wires to this switch. It should be open. Now remove enough brake fluid from the reservoir so that the fluid level is below the switch. You should now have continuity. This switch completes a grounded circuit. Do not check for continuity on the harness side as the white/red wire may have 12v. If you don't have a change in the continuity in the switch between the fluid levels, then the switch is bad. leaving the plug disconnected will turn off the brake light indicator in the dash if the switch is stuck in a closed state. Try cleaning the switch and if that works, you probably need to flush all the old brake fluid out and replace it will new.[/QUOTE]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts