Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've got an '06 Grand Vitara 2.7l AWD. On Saturday I noticed that my bottom two brake lights went out, but the top 3rd brake light still functions. I went ahead and checked all my interior fuses and they were all fine, I figured they would be since that third brake light still works. I swapped out the bottom two bulbs even though they weren't burnt and still nothing. Does the brake switch happen to control two different circuits one for the third brake light and one for the bottom two lights? I'm just wondering if its possible that the switch is bad. Anyone know where to look for a possible bad ground? Could this at all be related to the condition of the brake pad/shoes? I changed my front pads two weeks ago. I know my rear shoes are due. Just stumped:confused:. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hmm, looks like the supply is common and each light has it's own ground. Have fun with that... :)

Update your profile so we know what country you live in.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Get a needle type test light, probe the positive wire at the rear of the light assembly. If it has power, its an earthing problem.
Oh, make sure someone has their foot on the brake while testing. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
FWIW, I had a problem with just one side, it had gone out by the time I got to my MOT tester.
Change of bulb didn't solve it but bending the centre tang/electrical connection to actually touch the bulb did.
That said mine is fitted with old style light clusters with push twist bayonet bulbs, despite it being a 2009 model.
If yours are the later push fit, i'd put bets on the connectors that push onto the bulb have widened out breaking the circuit, provided you're happy the replacement bulbs are good.

Time to break out the multi meter...check the bulbs for continuity before you get too technical...I used to work in parts and lost count of the number of bulbs returned faulty from new.
If the bulbs show good then your next port of call is to check for voltage in the cluster and for continuity of the earth then work backwards from there but check which connection is which using the diagram provided by Kiwi, don't just jamb in the multi meter probes, you don't want to fuzz anything:mellow:

...and as for having changed your brake pads, I cant think of anything you could have possibly touched to cause such a thing, can you ?...just coincidence me thinks.:)

let us know what you find...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I tested the connector while having the brake pedal depressed and I wasn't able to measure any voltage between the positive and ground contact points inside the connection. I do have the push in style bulbs. I also tried grounding my probe to the chassis and trying to measure voltage between that and the positive connector and I didn't get any reading. Might just have to take it in to the dealer and let them mess with it. The only fuse for the brake light is the fuse labeled stop in the interior of the vehicle correct?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You don't say whether you've re-checked the bulbs...start simple work towards the complicated with electrics...
...and I'm not convinced that your tester probes have made contact.
Old track recommends checking at the rear of the connector where the wires enter as opposed to the connector entrance...good advice, you will often not be able to get the probe past the plastic moulding of the connector block.

Looking at the schematic, I find it hard to see that you have no voltage as it appears that left/right and hi-level brake lights share the same electrical path and they share a common fuse and the hi-level light is working.

below is a link to a manual...page 288 might assist you.

http://http://www.club-suzuki.ru/insertfiles/programs/Vitara_ServiceManual_part2.pdf

...one other thought, have you got a towbar and electrics fitted?

A friend had a VW that lost the tail lights and indicators at the rear and it was a faulty towing electrics module that was the issue.

Even if you do succumb to a garage, let us know what the cure was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.