Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a little worried about my brakes So for $ 35.60 got a estimate. My brakes are still not bad But if I would like I could Have a complete replacement for $1256.48 P/S I was also told my tires need changing before the winter as Canada has change the law tire tread wear was 2m. now it's 3m. to pass a safety So that probably will be about $ 650

·
Registered
94 Posts
What year is your SX4, how many kilometers since last brake job?

If it's just rotors/discs and pads then its an inexpensive job. I buy pads and rotors from NAPA. I do the work myself but it would be straightforward for an indie mechanic. The quote you give for a complete replacement seems high to me unless they are also doing caliper kits (piston seals etc) and a fluid flush.

·
Registered
853 Posts
All together, 1256C$ ,as first post says, looks VERY VERY expensive....

I had a minimal brake job to-day...just rear pads . About 30$ (Cdn) and doing the replacement is a charm. Straight forward, and resetting the caliper (screwing in the adjuster) was a no brainer.
Rear was an immediate requirement, so got the pads locally; at 30,000km it had just reached metal contact, no damage though. Funny that the rear came first, but I will do the front in a few days..I had the front pads ordered from RockAuto (32C$), half the local price..
Verify ROckAuto for disks if you need them .

·
Registered
388 Posts
"Funny" is not the word. I've got 158,000km without needing a rear change. They were half worn when the fronts were done at 90,000km. I used ThermoQuiet pads, good feel & little dust.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Recently (this summer) I finally replaced the rear brakes($36.00) at 215Kkm, and the 3rd set of front pads(40.00), rotors and drums are original..

... Philip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a lazy guy

I guess I should do the front pads & rotors myself just need to get motivated I had a 2000 tracker Chev. before SX4 and just wanted to tell any tracker owners to keep a eye on the front ends on trackers there was a recall seems the salt rusts out these parts & brake Just Google Tracker Recall to see this one Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
"Funny" is not the word. I've got 158,000km without needing a rear change. They were half worn when the fronts were done at 90,000km. I used ThermoQuiet pads, good feel & little dust.
Agreed. Living in a very hilly city and region might explain the case. There is nowhere I can go without going up and down 300 feet within a mile every time the car leaves home and in addition, going steeply up and down 800 feet to and from the cottage ..and this is about the only mileage done by this (wife's) car , except maybe one or two 500 km return trips a year on the open road.....

THis is the only hardware maintenance done on car since bought (at 12000 km ) ; changing the transfer case and differential oil is planned now as suggested (at a very low milage in my opinion) by owner's manual.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Even so the bulk of any braking will be done by the front end. When I rotate the wheels I check that the rear handbrake still releases fully, that the actuation levers on the caliper still go back to the stop pins. On one of the Mazda forums there was a post about adding extra return springs to this type of caliper. I haven't needed that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts