·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Vehicle: Vitara 1.0 Boosterjet SZ-T AT
Owned since new, May 2019
Current mileage, 19,000 Miles

At the recent 24 month main dealer service, the technician noted: Front discs are heavily lipped and pads are low. Advise replacement of front discs and pads.

Having a look and a feel through the wheel slots myself, the discs are indeed lipped by 1-2mm each side. Which would appear to be at or below the serviceable limit. I can't tell how low the pads are.

My question is, as these are the original set of discs and pads from the factory, is it normal for front discs to only last 19K miles? And to last only as long as the original set of pads?

TIA for any advice :)

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
27 Posts
Hi folks,

Vehicle: Vitara 1.0 Boosterjet SZ-T AT
Owned since new, May 2019
Current mileage, 19,000 Miles

At the recent 24 month main dealer service, the technician noted: Front discs are heavily lipped and pads are low. Advise replacement of front discs and pads.

Having a look and a feel through the wheel slots myself, the discs are indeed lipped by 1-2mm each side. Which would appear to be at or below the serviceable limit. I can't tell how low the pads are.

My question is, as these are the original set of discs and pads from the factory, is it normal for front discs to only last 19K miles? And to last only as long as the original set of pads?

TIA for any advice :)
In your position I would request the dealer treat this matter as a warranty claim. Perhaps the discs and pads have been mis-matched during factory fitting.
My own experience suggests at least 55,000 miles before disc replacement.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Good luck getting that sorted under warranty - my guess is you're going to be told that it's a wear item and you're going to get the claim denied - having said that, I would not let it stop me from asking.

I've never owned a vehicle that went through a set of front discs in under two years, and the only vehicle I've changed disks on in less than ten years and a 100,000 miles was my daughter's Kia Sportage - she somehow got a small rock lodged between the caliper & the disk and that scored one of the discs too deeply to simply machine out. I have vehicles with discs that have well over 100,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
Suzuki vitara 1.4 Boosterjet 2019
3 Posts
That is around 30 000 km(easier for me ;)).

I would say no. Disc should last much more. Even brake pads last longer.

Unless you are driving like you have a rally car :D.
On my previous car front disc was changed at 160 000 km together with pads (second time). But it was use mostly outside city with not much need for braking:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is around 30 000 km(easier for me ;)).

I would say no. Disc should last much more. Even brake pads last longer.

Unless you are driving like you have a rally car :D.
On my previous car front disc was changed at 160 000 km together with pads (second time). But it was use mostly outside city with not much need for braking:D
Haha, no, it's had 'normal' driving. :geek:

I realise that Auto Transmission cars use the brakes more heavily, but this does seem unusually high.

I've asked the main dealer to look into it, and they said they will respond on Monday...

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,542 Posts
At 260k Km, I am now due for a replacement of the original disk, this will be the 4th set of pads.. Note this is an automatic transmission vehicle..

Reactions: Ricky 4000

·
Registered
396 Posts
I killed a rear set of disks and pads at 12k miles….. but it was on a Jaguar XF that I had from new and sold before I lost my licence or worse.

You could always ask them to machine the disk to remove the lipping although that’s not an unusual occurrence on disk brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could always ask them to machine the disk to remove the lipping although that’s not an unusual occurrence on disk brakes.
Thanks, but I don't think that would help.

From what I've read, OE disc thickness is 22mm -- Service limit is 20mm.

The amount of lipping is roughly equal to that 2mm as far as I can estimate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks like you must be rather heavy on your brakes then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts