Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2001 Vitara 4u2 soft top (last of the pre-Grand Vitara vintage).

Over the last 15 months or so, on my usual drive to and from work, it is not unusual for me to have to do some quite heavy braking, and the net result of this is that I've just warped my second set of front discs.

I notice, on the different variants of this model of vehicle, that some have ventillated discs and some of the simpler models, like mine, have solid discs. I assume that the calipers and pads are probably different as the vented discs are thicker, but I wondered if anyone knew of any other differences there might be or if anyone had actually attempted to convert from solid to vented themselves.

The vented discs will obviously dissipate the heat better and probably not warp at all. I'm going to stick on another set of solids this weekend as it's a straigtforward enough job and they're cheap enough here in the UK (I've found somewhere that do them for around £10 each). It would just be nice to know if this is possible and what's involved.

Any ideas

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...

I'm a bit confused now. The discs (or rotors as you call them in the US) are only secured by the fact the wheels trap them on the hub when you tighten the wheel nuts. So, do you mean that you think I may have overtightened the wheel nuts (what you call 'lug nuts')?

Thinking about it, I don't believe it could be anything like that anyway because with a new set fitted, they are fine for a few months and then gradually start to shake a bit when braking. This gradually gets worse until you need to change them.

They look fine to the eye, with hardly any lip on the outer edge, but changing them certainly cured the problem last time.
When I change them in the morning I'll take one and check it with a DTI to see how true it is.

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that certainly cured it. With the new set fitted, it's smooth as silk under braking again just like new. I haven't had a chance to measure the warp on the old ones yet as I've had a bit of a hectic weekend, but I will.

If this happens again, I might drill a load of small holes in the next set, which might help.

Anyone any ideas on swapping to the vented discs?

Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by td248@Nov 7 2004, 01:37 PM
Well, that certainly cured it. With the new set fitted, it's smooth as silk under braking again just like new. I haven't had a chance to measure the warp on the old ones yet as I've had a bit of a hectic weekend, but I will.

If this happens again, I might drill a load of small holes in the next set, which might help.

Anyone any ideas on swapping to the vented discs?

Pete
If you've gone through two sets of of rotors already I would say there is a problem. Warping can be caused by heat buildup. Maybe the pads are dragging, maybe one side of the brake caliper is getting more pressur than the other. Could possibly be the master brake cylinder. Have they investigated further into the cause or are you content with just swapping out rotors.

rotors = discs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No not really. I'm not particularly happy having to change discs every 9 moths or so. But I do think this is quite a large and heavy vehicle to only have 12mm thick solid discs on the front. Hence, wanting to discover if anyone had ever swapped these to the vented types as fitted to the lwb models.

I think my use of this vehicle is not typical. Most of these I've seen bombing around on holiday in Cyprus or here in the UK are used for short journeys to the beach or local shops, mainly at around 40mph. Mine gets run at around 70mph twice a day on a fairly accident-prone piece of twisty single-carriageway. While this isn't a problem, there are regular accidents which sometimes catch you out, hence the heavy braking to avoid trouble. So, I think in normal use, this warping would probably never happen. I just want to beef up the brakes.

There appears to be no asymetrical wear of the discs or pads. The first time I changed the pads, they were worn down by almost exactly the same amount, so I think both sides of the calipers are exerting the same force on both sides of the discs.

Any ideas on what's involved in converting?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the link, but looking in both their online catalogues (sport brakes & GT brakes) they don't list anything for Suzuki?

I'm beginning to think that the only way I'm going to find out if this is possible is to go down to my local breakers yard with a vernier caliper and take some accurate measurements of the caliper offsets on Vitara's with and without vented front brakes.

Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
ive had same probs with my discs they just arnt upto to the job if you drive it a little agressive all the time there **** excuse my french . ebc perfermance discs with green stuff pads seemed to cure it mines been ok now for about a year

·
Registered
10 Posts
B) I have a XL 7 and have replaced the Pads twice in the last 25000 km this in six months. I had it now for the 95000 km service and they recommend I replace the "roters" and the rear drums.

I find the Suzuki Pads is soft but they are Very able to stop the XL7.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts