Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
On 12/30/17 I had an oil change done at a local shop & mechanic spilled oil on the engine, his way of cleaning the oil was to spray it with brake cleaner, lots of it. After i left & the engine heated to normal temperature, the fumes of the break cleaner came right through the ventilation system as i put the heat on. The fumes are horrible & sickening. I went back & owner or manager said the cleaner will "burn off" & dissipate. I did let the car run with the hood open for a 1/2 hour on Sat, Sun & Monday. Tuesday i drove it locally & seemed a lot better but once the engine reached it's normal temperature the fumes were back & just as bad as they were initially. I returned to the shop but they won't help & they now have an attitude. Any ideas that would work to get this off my engine & out of the ventilating system 100%. At the moment i will not even use the vehicle due to the toxic fumes.
The car is a 2010 SX4 with 5,000 original miles.
Thanks in advance for any input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Well..indeed only time will take the smell off. At this time, I would think the smell comes from the spilled oil, as the brake cleaner has already totally evaporated, probably.
Not knowing where you live (you shpuld fill up your profile or signature) , I do not know if you use the heat or A/C....nor you did not mention if you use outside air or recirculation.
Depending where you live, you could drive with wndows opened....but surely not in my area....
Time will take it out.
NOw....using a funnel is the sure way not to spill fresh oil onto the engine. But so called "expert" sometimes think they can do without.....
ALso with the J20B engine, there is a good chance of "some" spill from changing the filter....but that is low on the engine and probably not your problem here.
Patience.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LMP,
I am in New Jersey where it's been quite cold. I did use the heat using the fresh air button but that didn't help. I guess i'll give it more time & try to see if this clears up, unfortunately the fumes are horrible, even if a window is open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
LMP is correct, the brake cleaner was gone probably minutes after being sprayed.

Perhaps you could take it to another local repairer to have the engine bay steam cleaned/degreased with a hot water pressure wash and some mild detergent. This will get any residual oil off the engine.

For the record, it is quite normal for mechanics to use brake cleaner for spot cleaning spills or leaks. Brake Cleaner as a name is just a residual thing from the past.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,252 Posts
Perhaps you could take it to another local repairer to have the engine bay steam cleaned/degreased with a hot water pressure wash and some mild detergent. This will get any residual oil off the engine.
Just my $0.02 - NEVER use a pressure washer in the engine compartment of a fuel injected vehicle - there are a host of electrical connections (sensors and in some cases the ECU itself) that, whilst designed to resist water splashes, cannot withstand a direct stream of water at several hundred psi - you WILL get water in places it shouldn't be, and you could find yourself shelling out for some very expensive repairs.

I also want to share a personal experience washing an engine with a garden hose - so no more than 50 psi.

I have two Grand Vitaras with J20a engines, one is an older SQ series (second gen) and the other a JB series (third gen) - I routinely wash the engine in the SQ with spray degreaser and the garden hose and it's never given me any trouble after a wash - I washed the engine in the JB once, using the exact same degreaser & hose - and it would not start afterwards. I had to pull the coils & plugs and dry them before the engine would run.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,420 Posts
They used something else besides brake cleaner. Id say they used engine cleaner spray which does not evaporate quickly like brake cleaner. Give it time it will go away. Won't hurt you either, its kerosene based
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top