Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, reviving this thread a year later. I just picked up a 96 X90 4WD auto. Good mechanical condition but non runner as it sat in an elderly woman’s driveway for 7+ years. I’ve done all the prep to get it going and had it running on starting fluid. Purrs like a kitten.

As I don’t hear the fuel pump priming, I bought a new one. Im pretty sure I hear the relay clicking and it was fairly cheap. I can’t find instruction anywhere on the install though. Is it like a sidekick where it’s necessary to drop the fuel tank? I know very little about these little things other than it’s beautiful. Any help on getting the fuel part of the equation would be very useful!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I do not have anything to offer, other than, if it's been sitting for 7 years, you probably should drop the fuel tank anyways to check the condition of any residual fuel and interior tank condition, plus, fuel filter and flush the supply & return lines.

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Crack line on fuel rail as well and see if you have flow, if you do, pressure check the supply. After 7 years I'd expect the injectors to be gummed solid with varnish too.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank. The parts catalog is here (and will show locations of various items….the fuel diagrams will show the fuel system). It will also give you part numbers.
As Ranger is saying, if this has been sitting for 7 years, and presumably you have no idea of what is in the gas tank, whether fuel, rust, etc., it’s potentially a godsend that the engine will only start with starter fluid. If you’ve been cranking off the gas tank, chances are you’ll need to flush the entire fuel system, change the filter, etc. Get the fuel system set up properly, cleaned, flushed, fresh fuel, etc., with the pump installed, and then diagnose if/why it won’t start off the pump. It could be the relay, fuses, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey all, I recently bought a cheap 1996 X90 from an estate sale. It has been sitting for at least 6-7 years based on the 2015 registration. It’s a 16 valve 4x4 unit with the auto box, AC, aftermarket radio.

I have replaced oil, fuel, battery, and ran it for 10 seconds or so with starting fluid. Fuel pump relay clicks on for 3 seconds when I turn the key then clicks back off, so I am calling it good. I don’t hear the fuel pump so I bought a new one for $50 at autozone. I’ve seen videos of sidekicks needing the fuel tank pulled out to replace, is there a better way to do it on the X90? I’d really rather not pull the tank if I don’t have to.

any other useful tips relating to fuel delivery would be useful! Thanks in advance

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Nice looking rig. Do it right, pull the tank so you can assess the condition of the tank & components.

Reactions: X-90’s Kid

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
As will any fuel in the rail and the injectors. Full drop tank, clean and flush entire system time

Reactions: timhnartiel

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
While it’s now a bit out of context, I moved X-90 Kid’s original query from the old thread he piggybacked on to, to this new thread, so that the original suggestions for him would be all in one place.

Reactions: X-90’s Kid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bex, as well as others.

The relay seems operable, and when I pulled vacuum through the filler I got nothing and a dry hose. It seems either the fuel was pulled before storage, or has leaked somewhere. I’m just a tinkerer and don’t have any real shop supplies or experience. I’ve heard the horrors people have gone through sucking garbage through the fuel system, however I don’t have the necessary tools to properly clear the send/return lines, nor the capability to move the vehicle to a spot that does.

my current plan: cut an access port above the fuel tank in a way that won’t catch me or the car on fire, nor puncture and hoses/lines. I’ve found a couple write ups about similar procedures pertaining to the sidekick. I will remove the pump, inspect the tank and its contents, replace pump and filter, and test for functionality. If it works I will RTV the access point shut and call it good. Keep in mind: I bought this VERY cheap and it does not need to be perfect. Any advice on the cutting procedure would be very helpful as ill be tackling it today.

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
1,047 Posts
Some tanks have drain plugs, some don't. If yours does, you can check the status of the fuel -- but it will be messy. Who knows how much fuel is in there? Can you hear sloshing if you jump on a rear corner?

If there is fuel in the tank and if it's any good -- then I would test the existing fuel pump. It might be OK. Don't put the cart before the horse. Does the fuel dial on the dash work?????

Do you have a service manual for your rig?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some tanks have drain plugs, some don't. If yours does, you can check the status of the fuel -- but it will be messy. Who knows how much fuel is in there? Can you hear sloshing if you jump on a rear corner?

If there is fuel in the tank and if it's any good -- then I would test the existing fuel pump. It might be OK. Don't put the cart before the horse. Does the fuel dial on the dash work?????

Do you have a service manual for your rig?
I put new fuel in to test and no dice. Couldn’t hear fuel when checking previously

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,254 Posts
To access the fuel pump you have 2 options, drop the tank, or cut an access panel in the cab floor..

You must confirm power and grounds before marching out with a cutting wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Made the cut, all lines underneath came out unscathed, but I’m gonna need a hell of a patch panel, haha. Can’t get the Philips head screws off now though. The way the X90 trunk is constructed I could only cut so far, and the pump is held in by corroded Philips head screws that refuse to come out. It’s seeming like dropping the tank is once again becoming the better option, but now there’s a big hole.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
What a shame, to cut up such a nice looking X-90.

·
Registered
1995 Geo Tracker 2 dr Conv 2WD Manual trans 16 valve
37 Posts
A gas tank that old is not salvageable. Easy to drop tank, probably 4 bolts. Cut the small lines, but save the filler tube. Once you have it down you can dump what is in the tank. It will not smell or look like gas. You will need a tank, complete fuel pump, filter, and hoses. Had the same project 2 years ago, mine only sat 3 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry I'm late, Kid. I have an X-90 and I've replaced the tank. First turn the key to on and listen for the sound. There is a fuse in the box for it so read the map on the cover and pull the fuse to check it, you might just need a fuse. If you get a buzz sound but no fuel, take the bolt out of the front end of your fuel rail, put a rag in front of the hole and try again. If it works you'll have made a dangerous flammable mess under your hood so be careful. If you're like me, it won't do anything and you'll need a new pump. It is inside the tank so you drop the tank and take it out from the top of the tank. You have to pull the right side rear tire then take a panel from out of the rear of the fender well liner, there's 3 10mm bolts. This will expose the filler neck tube. Remove the upper and lower clamps and remove the tube. Now you can siphon any gas to lighten the tank but to do that you'll have to stick your finger into the filler neck pipe that is part of the tank and fish out the slosh damper. That's a pair of flaps attached to a plastic cylinder inserted so the flaps hang down into the tank. If fuel tries to surge out it pushes the flaps up which then corks the tube. It'll come in handy if you get upside down so you'll want to put it back, flaps hanging down. There is a vent tube that vents the top of the tank right next to the larger filler tube, remove the end that connects at filler neck. If you have a hitch, remove the four bolts and take it out, then remove the bolts holding the skid plate. If you have no hitch you'll still have a bumper reinforcement that uses those bolts. The tank is held in by the same bolts but has an extra bolt so it won't fall on your head but keep a jack under it so you don't stretch the hoses. Use the jack to support the tank and lower it just enough to reach the fuel lines that are on top of the tank on the right hand side. One of those hoses attaches to the fuel filter which you will want to replace because when you run out of gas with an old tank it clogs up with particles sucked up from the bottom of the tank. The pressure hose is held on with compression nuts that are real tight and the filter won't hold still. You'll have to fight for it, the return line is easier There is an electrical plug on top of the tank, in the middle that attaches to the fuel assembly, find the metal strain relief tabs that hold it down to the tank and bend them back to free it so you can get some slack to lower the tank more and you can unplug it. The fuel pump assembly is a contraption that hangs inside the tank from a plate that has a circle of screws in it and can only be reached with the tank on the ground. Please, please don't cut your trunk, you'll have exhaust fumes in your car because there's a free passage to the passenger bay along the left side where the jack lives and exhaust fumes will come in from the road draft. Since I live where the roads are salted the top of my tank rusted through from salt gathering at the depression formed where the filler neck goes in. If yours looks bad in this area the tanks are available on ebay, they're the same as the Sidekick and Tracker. I got mine for $100 delivered, brand new. The only meaningful difference with these is in the sending unit gaskets that come with the X-90. The ones that come with the new tank are a thick rubber style that WILL squish out and leak. Make or find a thin one so it will work with the style of fuel pump assembly you have. I got a fuel pump and filter from ebay and fussed with it to install it into the fuel pump assembly but I had to get new hoses for mine since the old stiff hoses had to be cut off. When you get everything back together and install the tank try purging by turning the key to on - wait 10 seconds - then off. You should be able to hear it running and it will operate for about 8 seconds then shut off. That's its normal routine. Do that 3 times or until you hear the sound change as it forces fuel out the return valve. Now look under the car for leaked fuel. If there's no leak, try starting. Good luck and let us know how you're doing as you go, lotsa talent here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts