Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, I've had a squeaky belt issue lately, and I've actually had the problem solved in the past by getting a bolt matched up, but it has since fallen out. Guess it wasn't the right size after all. Does anyone know what size bolt I need from the pics below? The whole belt below where I've circled is wobbly to the touch. Not good.

·
Super Moderator
24,234 Posts
Your arrow points to the a/c compressor mounting/adjusting bolt for tensioning the belt. There are 8mm and 10mm bolts for the compressor, but I don't know which is for your specific application - just for your info, the torque for the 8mm bolts is 21 ft/lbs and the torque for the 10mm bolts is 33 ft/lbs. When tensioning this belt, you are supposed to be able to press the belt inward (deflection) at 0.20-0.25 inch, when pushing on the upper portion of the belt between the compressor and crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I'll try to match it up. I have another question, though. I've actually been considering removing the compressor entirely, since I never run the AC and for the sake of better mileage. Isn't it just another two bolts to get it off?

·
Super Moderator
18,204 Posts
In general, you won't save anything of significance with regards to weight removal or eliminating the driving of the compressor IDLER pulley (horse power). :(

Actually, you may not even be ABLE to route a shorter belt due to new belt / engine interference issues that you might establish if the same belt runs other accessories.

I'm no expert on your particular set-up. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'm with Max on that removing the AC compressor wouldn't make a measurable difference in mileage or performance.

About the only reason I could think of to remove an AC system from a rig is to sell it or use it in a different TracKick. (Anyone in the southeast US want AC? No... not much use for AC there! ;) )

If the AC compressor is removed all you need is a shorter belt and moving one bolt on the power steering pump. This changes the pump from "fixed" to were it can be adjusted.

Note: The other bolt on the pump is "hidden" and reached THROUGH a hole in the pulley.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I'm going to just plan on replacing the bolt. I got the idea to remove the compressor after a buddy of mine removed his and almost doubled the mileage of his truck. If it truly won't make much of an impact, I don't see the point of removing it. I may just add a cold air intake instead, although I understand that their impact is a topic of debate when it comes to Trackers. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
... remove the compressor ... and almost doubled the mileage of his truck. ...!
Something else was going on.

If not engaged, any AC compressor just free-wheels and doesn't take any more power to turn than an idler pulley.

--- Your truck, your money and your time. ---

"Double" the mileage would be hard to believe even if the compressor was always turning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got a hold of the correct bolt, tried installing it.. and there's a piece of the old bolt lodged in there. Taking it to the shop tomorrow to get it drilled out. Fun times. Meanwhile, I've been riding around town with a loose belt making all sorts of noise.. Hopefully it ends tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
24,234 Posts
Good luck! Hopefully you will post back and advise that your problem has been solved...:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's all fixed now! :) My mechanic told me that there was one bolt holding my compressor on. He removed it, re-tapped the other two and replaced all the bolts. Amazingly, I didn't know that Trackers were SUPPOSED to be much more stable at 60+ mph. What an improvement! I won't be so anxious about highway driving anymore. When I first bought my Tracker last summer, all of the belts had just been replaced, and I guess whoever did the work didn't bolt everything back in correctly. Anyway, I'm relieved, and glad nothing worse ever came from that situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts