Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got an 87 sj413 samurai and went through the engine...so i was cruzin down the road and i started to hear a ticking and when i looked at the engine it was the carb stud to hold the air cleaner on had broke... so i figured when i got home i could just easy out it and replace but as i drove on the peice came out of the carb and went im guessing down the combustion chamber because about a quarter of a mile from home it started making a loud grinding noise like something was grinding on the flywheel but when i looked the peice from the carb was gone so maybe thats my noise? any ideas on where it could have gone or how to get it out without tearing the head off?

p.s. once the grinding noise started i immediately pushed in the clutch and shut the engine off so hopefully it didnt damage my new engine

any help would be greatly appriciated

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The last time that noise happened to me, it was a flywheel bolt that came loose because I had accidently skipped it in the torque process when I replaced the clutch. It WAS actually something (the bolt) rubbing on the flywheel. When I sped up it moved away towards the back of the bell housing and when I hit the brakes it went forward into the flywheel.

I don't think you would get that sound if a part went down the carb. That being said, if you still can't find the air cleaner stud, I would pull the carb, then work my way back to the head by pulling the intake and then eventually checking out the valves in the head...

I have seen parts go through the chambers and it isn't pretty.:eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ive traced it to definately top end and in the combustion chamber on cylinder 4 so it went in there and now is making a very loud grinding so i took it to the machine shop to finish it and hopefully it didnt eat my cylinder wall out and it just didd minimal damage. i cant imagine it would be too bad because it only ran like that for less than 30 seconds total. but ill let you know whats up as soon as i hear something.

thank you very much

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay so i just got the head off and the bolt smashed into the head and left a tiny score on the head and the piston but did no real damage... i dodged the bullet on that one...so im just out the money for a new head gasket and then itll be back in business

1 - 5 of 5 Posts