Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Don in Miami, FL here. I just purchased a 1988 Tintop Samurai and noticed on the drive home that there was lot's of body lean and a 'squirrelly' feel when I rocked the wheel back and forth. Now, I know and understand that I did not just buy a vehicle with a reputation for handling like a Ferrari, but are there any standard improvements I could make to my Sammi's directional stability - like shocks or new leaf springs? What are some typical suspension improvements made by members here?

Also, I noticed the leaf springs were virtually horizontal. Is that normal for a 20-yr old Samurai?

Thanks in advance for you consideration of my 'noob' questions.

Don
Stang351
Miami, FL

·
Registered
201 Posts
springs can flatten out. depends on what you want to do with the truck but if you are thinking of lifting the truck....there are a couple ways to achieve a smoother ride. if you are thinking spring over - then the stock springs will give you a bit of softer ride

then if you want to stay original confiquration ...sprung under, then there are lifts out there that will accomodate.

i am saving up to get a jeep wrangler YJ (87-95)stock spring set up. to set up sprung under. the YJ springs are supposed to ride 500 times better than stock, either sprung under or over.

hope this helps a little

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mule. After driving the Samurai for a while, I've determined that the body doesn't roll as much as the steering is a little 'squirrelly'. Could that be a worn out steering stabilizer?

Having never owned a vehicle with one of those stabilizers, I'm not real sure what purpose it serves. Could you ( or anyone else) fill me in?

Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stang, My '84 also has some play on the steering wheel. I know what to do, but the money is a bit short right now. The steering linkages from the steering rack and the one across that links the two wheels are the most probable cause of play. They have teflon inside, and this wears out over the years. Some workshops can make / supply new teflon busings.
I would remove the stabiliser shock from the vehicle as a start and feel how it feels. It should not extend by itself like a gas shock. Hold it horisontal and try to pull it out and push it back. This should take some efford. If you are uncertain, take it to a workshop and let them tell you.

I don't know if some play can be adjusted out on the steering box. I will check tonight and reply tomorrow again.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts