Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I searched but with the difficulty in lifting I want to try to ask a specific question based on what I think I finally decided to go with for an aggressive look.
I have an 02 XL7.
Lifting 4.5 in or so with Rocky Road OME Rock Steady kit.
I've decided on BF Goodrich K02 265/75 r16 tires.
I know I want wheels that have some depth look to them, I think it makes the tires with a more rugged look.
The question is for 16 inch wheels what offset and backspacing should I be looking at. I'm pretty sure with the deeper look I'm looking for, some sort of negative offset?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hello. Anyone with any experience with this combo. I decided on it after alot of back and forth. If I want to experiment later and try even bigger tires, I'll see then
But what I'm doing is the Rock Steady 4.5 lift (2 5 suspension, 2 body).
16x8 wheels, 4.5 backspacing.
265/75r16 k02s. (31.6 in x 10.5 in)

I do anticipate having to cut the front bumper.

Anyone with history with this setup or pics or anything similar?

I didn't want to go full 33s yet because I'm not yet looking to more sheet metal work, axle moving, motor mounts, axle swap, etc... maybe later.

Looking for a rugged look, wide stance, aggressive tires. Ill do light wheeling with my jeep on 33s. No crawling at all. More like a nice aggressive overland.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
NO experience whatsoever with that particular combination - BUT - having made that clear - I'll now offer my comments & suggestions.

First - based on what I see on the RockyRoad Outfitters' web page the Rock Steady kit offers no relocation of the rear axle or the lower ball joint in the front - it's springs, spacers, struts, shocks, and steering extensions.

I don't see you getting a 31.6 inch tire under the rear of an XL-7 without a fair bit of sheet metal work - I'm just guessing based on the tires (roughly 29") I'm running on my GV - you're going with a tire over 2.5" more than I have, and I don't have an inch of clearance between the back edge of my rear tire and the wheel arch. The same will probably hold true in front, but that's a little harder to guesstimate because of the change in rim width & backspacing. With 29s on stock 16x7 alloys I get frame rub on full lock (inner edge of the tire so less backspace will fix this) and had to trim the bumper (outer edge of the tire, so less backspace makes this worse). Less backspace will also bring the outer edge of the tire very close to the firewall on full lock, unless the lower ball joint is moved forwards, which of course brings the whole kit & kaboodle closer to the front bumper.

As I said I have NO experience with that combination, but, I've walked that road with a very similar vehicle, using very similar components, I know where my "grief points" were, so that gives me an idea where yours are likely to be, and my opinion is you just cannot run that much tire on a GV or XL-7 without a significant amount of sheet metal and suspension rework, more suspension rework than the Rocky Road kits provide.

Where I really expect you to run into grief is gearing - you're going up 16% on tire size, and you're really going to feel that in performance, unless you find a way to compensate, which on an XL-7 is not an easy thing to do. I can feel the impact of a 29 on my car, and that's just under 7%, I can go larger because I have bolt-in gear options open to me, but I've chosen not to, you don't have those options on an XL-7, not unless you start swapping axles.

That much tire is overkill for light wheeling, and based on reading between the lines, your focus may be more on appearance, you may end up with the look you're going for, but on a truck that can't be used for anything more "overland" than the nearest mall, in fact, it might struggle to even get you to the mall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. So, do you think I have a choice? Sheetmetal work - or - move rear axle and ball joints? Or maybe have to do both to some degree?

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
I'm just going to point out that neither of those options addresses what I consider to be the biggest stumbling block with your proposed course of action - gearing ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I have no issue if I need to change gears. I got this xl7 for free, great shape, only 76k miles. So I can do some work on it and not have to worry too much about exceeding what I paid.

So, a potential winning build so far, of course not taking any hidden issues into account.

-the Rock Steady kit.
-new gearing
-move rear axle back
-lower ball joint forward
-replace or trim front bumper.

Yes, I want it to have a certain look. But I will also take it light wheeling in South and Central Florida where we already take our jeep.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I guess I will see. But might the 5.13 gears in the xl7 work ok with 31.2 tire size? The charts seem to indicate it might work.

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
But might the 5.13 gears in the xl7 work ok with 31.2 tire size? The charts seem to indicate it might work.
What charts are you referring to?

The XL-7 uses 5.125:1 gears with the stock 235/60R16 (27.1 inch) tires, there's no way those will be adequate with a 265/75R16 (31.6 inch) tire - from a purely mathematical aspect, you're going to need something around a 5.95:1 and whilst I think there are 5.8s that can work in a GV, the XL-7 uses a different rear axle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so axle swap may be in the future. Any thoughts on an axle type that has worked on an xl7 or may work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should look up alteredegomotorsports.com they have some really nice looking lifts that I plan on picking up hopefully in the next 6-8 months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased the 4xfourtart 3" extreme kit as well as 2 in body lift to go with 32" tires on 16" wheels.
That kit moves the axles a total of about 2 inch I believe, we will see.
Hoping to not have to trim bumpers, but ok if I have to.
The RR OME kit was at least 4 weeks out, the alteredego kit was maybe 4 months.
The 4xfourart will be 10 days.
Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello. Is there a difference in a body kit for a grand vitara and an xl7? Just body, not suspension.
I find multiple body kits for grand vitara, not many for xls specifically. Is it just maybe the number of spacers needed?
Anyone know where to buy one besides Rocky Road?
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hello, is there anyone on here who has installed this kit? The shop i am using has a question, i was hoping someone may have an answer. The company has not been able to help as of yet.

you can reply on here or message me.

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i found out more specifically,
after the 3" extreme lift and a 2" body lift, 2 issues;

#1 the front suspension is very stiff. the shop has a thought of fabricating a little longer bracket to attach the control arms to, in effect lowering the front of the control arms. If that were the only option, id probably just stay with the stiffer ride.

#2 front wheels not aligned. did a good alignment fix this, or were camber bolts necessary or even useful?

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Drilling new holes is probably easier then finding a bolt that fits. But I have a suspicion it will break off either way, there is not very much to hold on to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just started the build. Have 3" 4xfourart extreme lift, 2 inch body lift, 32" k02s.

Still trying to figure out a few things.

Best way to extend the 4 wheel shift lever linkage, might try a jeep type extension.

How to try to use oem front bumper for now that is not fitting due to 2" body lift.

Hoping camber bolts will get it in line.

Already have new Headlights to install as well as roof rack and some LED lights

3d printed some badging in black to replace the stock badges.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello again. Got it all installed. Two questions maybe I can get help with.
On the picture, there is a small hose going into the front of the rotor area. I don't think that's the brake line, I think that's the larger on the other side. What is the smaller one?

Also, I have a metal scraping sound, comes and goes mostly at slow speeds. Sounds like brake pads rubbing slightly on rotor, but it continues if I put on the brakes. I don't see any scratches anywhere. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,733 Posts
The smaller "hose" is not a hose, it's a cable, specifically the ABS sensor cable.

I have to say I'm not impressed with the 4xfour art kit - there should have been mounts to secure both the ABS sensor cable and the brake hose to the strut - cable ties are not an acceptable substitute - I'm also not impressed with the workmanship of whoever installed and/or did the alignment - I can see the tie-rod locknut has not been tightened - I can't help but wonder what else has been left loose.

You'll need to deal with that torn CV joint boot, sooner rather than later once grit gets in there that'll be the end of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts