Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my car yesterday, and noticed a bit of a brown mark on the drivers side wheel arch just under the rear door. Having had a closer look today and pulling the arch protector away a bit there's what looks like the start of some quite bad corrosion where the body and plastic arch protector meet.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can't quite make out the photo but it looks as if the area has been scraped in some way in the past. A mark on paintwork is often a sign of corrosion penetrating from the other side of the panel. If the paintwork inspection schedule is up to date, I'd talk to the dealer about a claim under the paintwork warranty. Unfortunately the warranty is an anti-perforation warranty and interpretation of damage can sometimes be a bit subjective. It's best to have any damage repaired before any corrosion gets a hold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't quite make out the photo but it looks as if the area has been scraped in some way in the past. A mark on paintwork is often a sign of corrosion penetrating from the other side of the panel. If the paintwork inspection schedule is up to date, I'd talk to the dealer about a claim under the paintwork warranty. Unfortunately the warranty is an anti-perforation warranty and interpretation of damage can sometimes be a bit subjective. It's best to have any damage repaired before any corrosion gets a hold.

Cheers for replying, it can only have happened because of people getting in. As where it is is just under the door, and I've not scraped anything at all.
As for the corrosion warranty, I don't know where I stand as I bought it second hand 2 years ago.
The service history is upto date, though ive had it serviced at independent garages not suzuki.
It may be a bit of rust remedy and some touch up paint.
It's pretty poor paint work though as the cars only just over 4 years old.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It looks like a shonky car yard repair or paint damage from the trim impacting something. There is gouge mark evidence on the trim. Also, if the trim is a bit loose, there may be vibrations that wore the paint away. If you drive in areas where salt is applied to the road, then expect corrosion, especially if also having a dirty car or use dirt roads as well. You didn't buy it new, so there is a chance you don't know the full history.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Getting paintwork warranty repairs done is a major issue with many car manufacturers even with a fully stamped annual inspection history. Manufacturers use missing inspection reports as a reason to reject claims. Using something to lift the section of trim off the bodywork should enable a difficult to see touch up. An application of Back to Black on the trim will hide any scuff marks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Cheers for replying, it can only have happened because of people getting in. As where it is is just under the door, and I've not scraped anything at all.
As for the corrosion warranty, I don't know where I stand as I bought it second hand 2 years ago.
The service history is upto date, though ive had it serviced at independent garages not suzuki.
It may be a bit of rust remedy and some touch up paint.
It's pretty poor paint work though as the cars only just over 4 years old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been taking a closer look at the pictures I took, and it looks like there's filler showing where the body meets the trim. Plus the paint is bubbling further in, it would seem that the previous owner has damaged it had it repaired and gotten rid of it.
I doubt the car supermarket i bought from will entertain any kind of repair as the may not have known about it either, I see a local garage about repairing it again hopefully it will last longer than a couple of years.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This looks a pretty straightforward repair so done properly should last the life of the car. Bubbling filler is often a sign of not thoroughly cleaning up and drying the repair area, using too much filler rather than reshaping and poor application of paint coats especially where water based paints are involved. Sadly after a couple of years since purchase, you’re unlikely to get any joy from the original seller.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
it looks like there's filler showing where the body meets the trim. Plus the paint is bubbling further in, it would seem that the previous owner has damaged it had it repaired and gotten rid of it.
Or shonky car yard repair - that's what they do with trades to get them in and out to a buyer ASAP.

This looks a pretty straightforward repair so done properly should last the life of the car.
I agree, remove trim and expose the full horror of the damage and poor repair. get it all back to shiny metal, then fill, shape and paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts