Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some advice! I have a 93 Samurai(South Africa) with the factory carb. When I go downhill, with my foot of the gas but still in gear and when I give some gas a cloud of blue smoke comes out the exhaust. This also happens when I want to loose some speed and after about 100 feet of freewheeling in gear and then excelarate the cloud of blue smoke comes out the exhaust. I've had the Sammy for about two weeks now and everythings seems fine. It has 65000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oil smoke does not dissipate quickly and has a distinctive smell. If it comes in intermittent puffs could it be valve seals? I'm not well versed on the 1.3 so don't know if this is an issue but without tons of miles is this a possibility? I have had other engines do just this with only failed valve seals.

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
The key to this one is the...
When I go downhill, with my foot off the gas but still in gear
Classic high intake vacuum scenario, pulling oil up past the rings. ;)

Not to say that the engine isn't simply tired AND suffering from excessive valve stem to guide / seal wear as well.

A compression test would be prudent here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris

Thank you for the replies! I think I will have a compression test done! It is of course possible that the sammi's speedo have turned over more than once. The speedo reads 8800km and I was told it has turned over once, making it 108800km's. But it pulls well and I am not yet worried about the condition of the motor. I've only had it for two weeks and I need to learn a lot more about the Samurai!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for the replies! I think I will have a compression test done! It is of course possible that the sammi's speedo have turned over more than once. The speedo reads 8800km and I was told it has turned over once, making it 108800km's. But it pulls well and I am not yet worried about the condition of the motor. I've only had it for two weeks and I need to learn a lot more about the Samurai!
Chris, I live close to you in Welgelegen Northern Surburbs. Come by my place if you want me to check it out

Is the engine a G13BA or G13A?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Sandboarder

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. It is the 1298cc engine. I am not really worried about it anymore, some cars do smoke on downhill, BMW's is known for that. I will be doing a compression test soon, just so that I know. The 31st Jan I am going to test the Sammy at Helderberg 4x4 trail. Not the most difficult trail but at least a playground!

Keep well
Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is the G13BA engine then, exactly the same as mine.

Keep a good eye on the oil level. I had the exact same symptoms on 105kkm and turned out to be a broken piston skirt. In my research I've found numerous cases of this happening to the G13BA's

Pull the spark plugs and check if they are either all covered in oil or only 1.

A compression test was useless in my case as only the oil ring broke and the compression rings remained intact. This resulting in a perfect compression figure on all 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sandboarder, Baie dankie! I appreciate your advice! I will look at the plugs first and keep an eye on the oil and report back.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Sandboarder. I pulled the plugs and they seem OK. No traces of oil and they are a light grey color. Is this good? I am checking the oil but no difference yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My samurai has same issue at 200,000km..
only smokes when engine braking on downhill it also uses lots of oil.
(especially if use 15w-40 it will eat around 1L for about 1500km but some is leak from front seal)
but otherwise doesnt smoke when driving normaly...
and spark plugs look normal, oil pressure is about 40psi at idle and at 60psi when driving

so not too worried and kind of just live with it as is...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ Miloking, 1 liter for 1500Km's is not really bad. My front crankshaft seal also leaks oil, I don't like it and will get it fixed some time. Otherwhise I am not worried about the condition anymore!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts