Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m new to this forum and to mechanic work. I have a 1998 Chevy Tracker with a bad blower switch. I have removed all of the cables from the heater control unit/case, but I can’t figure out how to remove cables from old switch. I don’t want to break anything. Do I use a screwdriver to pry them out? I don’t see any tabs or anything to help with the process. I have included a picture of the cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
You'll have to get something thin & strong to insert between the "claws", of the retainer clip, and the plastic HVAC control housing, on both sides, while levering the cable away from the housing. A 2nd hand is helpful. See the clip in the photo.

https://postimg.cc/5QWJxBXz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I know that you stated a small thin strong tool. Any suggestions of what that would be? I have small thin screwdrivers.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wait, stop!! Is the trouble you are having with the blower fan switch, or the vent selector?? If it is the fan switch, you don't need to remove the selector cables... unless you absolutely have to get the whole unit out. The switch itself is integrated, using a clamshell type 'cap' on top of the whole switch/selector unit. The switch components can be accessed with the cables still attached. Be aware, there are small springs & a ball bearing under the 'cap' so if you need to open it up, do so carefully, so you don't lose those parts. I've repaired the switch with the whole unit in place... It's a tight area, but there is enough room to access the switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. Do I need to remove blower unit and cables all together? I was trying to disconnect the cables at unit and leave them in the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was aware of this fix, but I want to replace the switch and then zip tie it for the future before I reassemble the bezel. My blower switch is broken in this exact area but is beyond this fix. I really just need to know how to get the hvac cables to release from switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts