Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2002 XL-7(4wd; automatic, Touring). The only problem I've had so far is the 4x4 dash light blinks when in 4wd. It seems to be working, but not sure if it is actually going in and out as it's in use as would be indicated by the light. Last week I had it at the mechanic as it would not go into 4wd(no light & didn't drive like it). He called later said it was working fine it had been froze(temps have been extreme), after it was in their heated garage a few hours all was fine and he did not see the light blinking. Thought maybe I should try putting into 4wd, then backing up to PUT it in. I remember having to do that with a couple older Blazers I was owned.Yeah tried that and it's still blinking. Not with any pattern, just whenever, I thought. As a side not when I started it this morning I only had the key turned to Accessory(waiting to allow fuelpump to pressure up) and before I actually cranked the engine on I heard a intermittent very low clicking/whirring sound. When I watched the dash indicator light, you guessed it coinsided with the blinking. What am I looking at??? Help!!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
The front diff is actuated with positive air pressure, +/-7psi. When the pump runs the light will illuminate..

What you have is a leaking system, either the line from the pump, the bellows on the clutch in the diff or the pump itself... All easy to test...

First clamp off the supply (pressure) at the diff, if the pump stops, the pump and line are OK..
Supply 7psi (no more) from outside source to diff, if it leaks down the clutch bellow is ruptured...

.. Philip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

I have taken XL-7 to the garage and they have replaced the actuator, 3 times. Twice it acted the same as before 4wd indicator blinking and I could hear the actuator humming/clicking. I picked it up yesterday(3rd time replaced) and light stayed solid,but it almost felt like it stayed in 4wd when shifted to 2wd and indicator light was out. Today took driving to test(roads are snowy slushy) and indicator light on,but 4wd not engaging. Couldn't make it up a hill,that was no problem before, without backing up to run up it... Feel like I've switched to the other extreme..was blinking light with 4wd now solid light with NO 4wd
! Any ideas?? Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Frankly, I think you need a new mechanic... ( a monkey should be capable of these functions)

Not sure what you are referring to as the actuator..

There are 2 basic tests
  • install a low pressure gauge into the pressure line from the pump to the front diff.. should attain +/-7psi and hold when in 4x..
  • Provide +/-7 psi to the front diff, 1/2 shafts should lock providing power to front wheels..

Failure of the first, indicates a failed pump unit.
Failure on second indicates diff clutch defective...

..... Philip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts