Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 - J24B
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with buying/using a bike carrier which bolts to the spare wheel?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with buying/using a bike carrier which bolts to the spare wheel?

Thanks
Mark
Yes I used one long time ago, was able to route the post through the spare and it worked great....until the sag that the extra weight it created on the tail gate made it hard to close and lose connection with the button that tells the car the door is closed. I still have the old rack stashed in my garage somewhere!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,429 Posts
That is a quick way to deform the rear door, That much weight and leverage will destroy the door internal frame..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I've always wanted to fabricate a bracket that utilised the spare bracket mounting points but don't want the spare to be then sitting unsecured in the back. I'm fairly confident that the door could handle the weight of one bike if the bracket design kept the weight close to the door. But I would not risk hanging a bike off the spare itself.

My latest GV has a Class 2 towbar so will use that instead with a cheap ball-mount carrier for my one bike.

·
Registered
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2009 - J24B
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice,
I was worried about hanging a bike off the spare wheel.
My GV has a detachable tow ball so I might just buy a carrier which fits in that and not put the door at risk.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Thanks for the advice,
I was worried about hanging a bike off the spare wheel.
My GV has a detachable tow ball so I might just buy a carrier which fits in that and not put the door at risk.
I have this one on a removable tow ball, works well. Folds down so I can open the rear door, needed to file about a mm off the upright base end at the pivot point to get it to fold to 90 degrees

Clears the spare wheel by about 30 mm on my tow ball assembly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Mark
weigh spare wheel, i doubt bicycle weighs more than spare wheel, make bracket to mount bike, put spare wheel in back of suzy, easy peasy.
other alternative - buy 5' x 3' trailer!!! how many bikes plus other gear you want to carry??

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
weigh spare wheel, i doubt bicycle weighs more than spare wheel
BUT - the bracket to mount the bike is likely to be twice as long as the spare wheel mount, so even if the bike weighs the same, you have twice the leverage, twice the tearing force...

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,429 Posts
BUT - the bracket to mount the bike is likely to be twice as long as the spare wheel mount, so even if the bike weighs the same, you have twice the leverage, twice the tearing force...
That is a quick way to deform the rear door, That much weight and leverage will destroy the door internal frame..
I hear an echo, but no one is listening..!

Easy peezy! just bolt it on and deal with the carnage later...

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Are the JB models that weak, I've been hanging a bike off the spare wheel on my SQ for years with no issues :unsure:

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Are the JB models that weak, I've been hanging a bike off the spare wheel on my SQ for years with no issues :unsure:
the mount itself is on 2 reasonably heavy rails internal to the door, but its only just heavy enough to take a tyre. If you look, the tyre clamps up against its bracket and doesn't flex or vibrate much as its snug and pretty close into the door and its frame.
Add a bike rack and things tend to flex a lot more as the weights out from the pivot point causing the rear door panel to warp as its getting pressed on from the tyre frame thats bolted thru the door skin panel. When you see one thats had a bike rack on it, its obvious what they have done. Tyre on or not, they still twist with bike racks.

Tow ball mount with fold down frame I have found is the best over the years

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
weigh spare wheel, i doubt bicycle weighs more than spare wheel, make bracket to mount bike, put spare wheel in back of suzy, easy peasy.
other alternative - buy 5' x 3' trailer!!! how many bikes plus other gear you want to carry??
theres one simple factor everybody forgets, Torque. work it out I just did some rough calculations, not super accurate but good enough as an example

Average 13 kg mountain bike mounted 500 mm from the centre line of the door (pivot line of internal frame) is going to give about 90 lb-ft of torque with car stationary, not counting any rack, or added force when the car hits a bump and lands.

its more force than you think, the spare comes in at about 25 lbs-ft, yes its heavier, but its only 180 mm ish from the pivot.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
the mount itself is on 2 reasonably heavy rails internal to the door, but its only just heavy enough to take a tyre. If you look, the tyre clamps up against its bracket and doesn't flex or vibrate much as its snug and pretty close into the door and its frame.
Add a bike rack and things tend to flex a lot more as the weights out from the pivot point causing the rear door panel to warp as its getting pressed on from the tyre frame thats bolted thru the door skin panel. When you see one thats had a bike rack on it, its obvious what they have done. Tyre on or not, they still twist with bike racks.

Tow ball mount with fold down frame I have found is the best over the years
Don't know what to say really, been putting 1 bike on mine for ten years + and not a hint its ever been there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts