Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a 1300cc Suzuki Samurai and would like to know opinions on which size tyres I should get, whats the biggest I can go and should I do it with a suspension lift?

Hope you guys can help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gotta let us know what year you got.

on my '94 I tried fitting 31's on all stock suspension...... I couldn't get out of my driveway.
I put a 5.5" SPOA lift on it, and still had to trim the front bumpers, as the tire would hit every time I turned while moving. Although I did have about 2" or so of offset (which pushes out the tire) on the wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I have a 92 model Suzuki Samurai. I am just about to do a 2 inch suspension lift. And its a 1300 stock engine.

Which size tyre is best for this and will still move nicely?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the 1300 with 65k km (fairly fresh motor) and I could barely use 5th gear with those aforementioned 31's. I also found it to be to "fast" in low range.
I ended up putting in the 1600 and I have 4.9 xfer gears ready to go in.
When you go for bigger tires, you will find yourself wanting the other things to balance it out.
Putting on the bigger tires does 2 unfavorable things. speeds up the low and drops your highway speed.

Sorry I know I'm not answering your question, just sharing my experience.
Maybe 29's?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it does answer and thank you. Can you be more specific what a 29 is? I only get to see tyre examples like 205/??/?? etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
The 205/??/?? sizing is known as metric sizing, a 29 is a 29 inch flotation size, and represents the outer diameter of the tire

Get yourself a tire size calculator and calculate the outer diameter of metric size and you can compare them.

A 205/80R15 tire would work out to 27.91 inches so it's comparable to a 28.

It's also important to understand that you can compensate for the effects of a larger tire on performance by changing either the transfer case gearing (on a Samurai) or the final drive ratios (on most vehicles) - so you need to consider clearance as well as gearing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I once ran 225/75(i think)/r15's on stock suspension with an upgraded 1300(webber, low-range cam, shaved head, and headman header). The front tires would rub on the springs on tight turns (rims had to big of a backspace) and a big enough hill or a stiff head wind would keep it out of 5th gear.

I now have 30x9.5x15's (on different rims) with a 4" lift (2" shakels ans 3" springs) and 4.16 gears in the transfercase and have a lot less problems.

With the right gearing and lift the 1.3 will run just about any tire you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that much appreciated.

Going to get a 2 inch lift and put on 235/75/15.

Do you think that will work together?

·
Registered
76 Posts
a 2" lift will most likely give you the clearance but a stock 1300 does not have enogh power to run tires that size unless you change your gearing. I suggest getting some performance upgrades and change your gearing both.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No one has asked the one question that is most important here.
What are you planing to do with you're Zuke?
Are you building a mall crawler , or are you planing to run the rig off road?
Tire size , lift and gearing are all part of the same planning proses when setting up a build.
You must blend the three when building a rig.
If not, you will not be happy with the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No one has asked the one question that is most important here.
What are you planing to do with you're Zuke?
Are you building a mall crawler , or are you planing to run the rig off road?
Tire size , lift and gearing are all part of the same planning proses when setting up a build.
You must blend the three when building a rig.
If not, you will not be happy with the results.
100% what Boxcar said.........;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys

Well Im just looking to make it versatile, but its mainly a road vehicle. Will use it to mount cameras on as well and use as a camera vehicle for productions.

You guys know how to make the suspension not so rigid?

So what I am doing is ok then, I would not have to change the engine right?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes I do know how to make the Samurai " not so ridged.
And no , you shouldn't have to change the engine .
Try OME 1.5" springs to soften the ride. 29"- 30" tires , and a 4.6:1 T-case gear swap.....
Then trim you're front bumper ends to clear the tires in a turn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ZAC : Those would be Old Man Emu springs not Original Manufactures Equipment :eek: The TC gears is a lot of money down the tubes if your not going to wheel it :(

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
From Old Man Emu, where else?

Old Man Emu is a brand of spring manufactured in Australia by ARB, and available through most ARB distributors - if you're in the US (and even if you're not) try Low Range Off Road.

Harley - the acronym normally used for original equipment is OEM - original equipment manufacturer and from the time you start fitting larger tires, gearing becomes an issue on or off road - you'll find fuel consumption increases, acceleration decreases and maintaining a reasonable speed on the highway becomes difficult.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts