Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a 2007 SX4 AWD Automatic for a commuter car. It needed a new transmission which I was able to get one from a junk yard with only 33000 miles on it. I found out that the SX4 only gets about 28 mpg on the highway, which in reality it will get somewhere around 24-25. Is there something out there that can assist in getting better MPG? Programmer, Cold air intake?

Please let me know

Thanks

Chris

2007 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback, 140K miles, new transmission, everything else is stock.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I also belong to that forum. Some of those guys are way over the top though, and will do what the average driver either can't do or would be afraid to do.

So in a compromise between doing nothing and getting EXTREME, I elected to take the low road and just do a few things that would not hurt my car (SX4, 2009, X-Over, AWD), but improve its performance and MPG.

The very first thing I did after getting my SX4, back in 2009, was to put in a K&N engine air cleaner. I saw an immediate jump in MPG.

Then going on a lot of past experience, I upped the tire pressure to 42 psi.
The car would then steer quicker, roll easier, coast longer and get better MPG.
And I saw NO odd wear patterns in the tires.

Then due to all the complaints about the transmission and Power Steering fluid overheating, scorching (turning brown) and stinking, I introduced "Prolong Transmission Treatment" into both the AT and PS fluids. In 40K miles, I had NO scorching or discoloration of the fluids in the AT and PS.

In my monthly trip of about 90 miles to Orlando, FL, I would get ~29.5mpg.
I attributed the lack of GREAT MPG to the AWD mechanism.
And I did add Prolong Gear Lube to both the transfer case and differential, to reduce friction and aid performance.

The little car just ran GREAT! and I was very happy with her, but......
The deal breaker for me was the loss of all Suzuki dealerships and factory support, and having no warranty service centers within practical driving distance.
If I still had my local Suzuki Dealer, I'd still be driving my SX4 today.

A trick that's talked about a lot on the above mentioned forum, is "Pulse & Glide", which I had already done for years before ever reading about it anyplace. When driving down a highway, I get the car up to speed and then let up on the gas pedal for maybe just a couple of seconds, then apply the gas slowly, just enough to maintain my speed. On my Scan Gauge II, I've seen my MPG jump by 3-5 miles per gallon, when I've performed that simple trick. I repeat that process every few minutes as I go on down the road and it works every time.

If you're going for max MPG, it's very helpful to have your own Scan Gauge II, or any like product, that gives you your actual MPG in real time, Second by Second. I first read about that device on the MPG Forum and it helped me to become a better (more efficient) driver.

Here's a pic of my Scan Gauge II, showing my speed and MPG on my last trip to Daytona Beach, for BikeWeek.
Sorry to report......this is not an SX4.

The best MPG I ever got on my SX4, for the same trip, was 29.5.

I wish you good luck with your SX4.
Happy Motoring!

Shadow :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I replaced the air filter with the K & N. I was averaging around 27.5 mpg and after I have avg right at 30 the past 2 months, so that definitely helped me. Car seems to run smoother as well. 2008 SX4 Sedan FWD.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Summer temperatures will help increasing mpg. Normal.
And better mileage with a 2WD compared with AWD is also normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts