Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody knows what is the best as well as cheapest way to increase the wheelbase of a jimny?
1. put wheel spacers
or
2. put wider tires

im worried if i put wheel spacers, there might be wobbling or steering problems...
please help...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There are two options for you, Spacers or a decreased backspacing on the rims. If you use a quality set of bolt on spacers then you won't have any wobbling or steering issues. The problem is that a good set of bolt on spacers costs almost as much as a cheap set of rims with a tight backspacing. If you go with a small backspacing you will get a deeper looking rim that has a more aggressive appearance but it will mean that you will need to get a set of tires for the new rims.

A wider stance will make the vehicle more stable at higher speeds, and it will help it corner more flat at lower speeds. It will decrease the turn radius, but with the turn radius already so rediculously small you will still turn tighter than most cars on the road even with a wider stance.

Unless you are running on soft sand or on snow, you don't need a wide tire. The extra rotational mass and the friction of the widened foot print are harder for the engine to manage, harder for the breaks to stop, and they actually provide less traction on a hard surface. If you want to widen the stance, use spacers or a rim with more backspacing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tHANKs for the reply Baratacus...

do u think the bolts which they sell together with the spacer in eBay enough to prevent wobbling and steering problems? the spacer + bolts set costs around USD 190 for 4 spacers + bolts...

i think it is more expensive to buy new rims (5 rims including spare) and tires...
do u have any idea how much would these cost?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
They run about 56 dollars U.S. / each. so geting 5 (spare) will cost you more than the spacers. once you get the tires and the rims and do the mounting and balancing, the cost of new rims is MUCH more expensive than spacers. If you were in the market for new tires, then I would recommend getting the rims while you were at it, but if you're tires are in good shape and you don't intend to upgrade to a wider tire then the spacers are better.

Or the super cheep method, Something to keep in mind. The rim is offset with the bolt holes 1 inch to the outside of the centerline. if you have the spoked style rims with the keystone shaped holes encircling the hub, the spokes are flat vertical and the rim can be mounted inside out. This will increase your stance by 1" on each side without any spacers or aftermarket rims. If you have the later style rims with the round holes encircling the hub then you can not flip the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
4,433 Posts
wheelbase is the distance between the front and back wheels. Track is the distance from one tire to the other on the front or back.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
What model Jimny? UK Jimnys never came with spoked wheels but SJ rims fit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The skinny width is the best thing!
The Suzuki isnt as wide as the other trucks ruts so it doesnt get bellied all the time

Dont you guys usually put jeep axles under yours?
Jeeps are pretty expensive over here so thats not really an option,
Im playing with an idea of putting Toyota Prado axles under mine, so I get the coil springs as well, and maybe the electric locker
That is, if the rev limiter in the passenger seat will let me....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Over where? what we in the UK call the Jimny, the SN413, wasn't sold in the US and Jeep parts are extremely rare here too.
Widening the track a couple of inches won't make the overall width any more, 7 x 15 rims with 215 tyres are quite common over here and were sold as a Suzuki aftermarket option, they still fit within the stock arches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great advise mate...
i think i will go for 2" spacers, since my tires are still new...

in the future when my tires are worn out, i would like to fit in a wider tire.
Anybody knows what is the largest and widest tire that i could fit in a stock Jimny (2010 model) without the need for lifts?...

They run about 56 dollars U.S. / each. so geting 5 (spare) will cost you more than the spacers. once you get the tires and the rims and do the mounting and balancing, the cost of new rims is MUCH more expensive than spacers. If you were in the market for new tires, then I would recommend getting the rims while you were at it, but if you're tires are in good shape and you don't intend to upgrade to a wider tire then the spacers are better.

Or the super cheep method, Something to keep in mind. The rim is offset with the bolt holes 1 inch to the outside of the centerline. if you have the spoked style rims with the keystone shaped holes encircling the hub, the spokes are flat vertical and the rim can be mounted inside out. This will increase your stance by 1" on each side without any spacers or aftermarket rims. If you have the later style rims with the round holes encircling the hub then you can not flip the wheel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mof...why did you say that skinny width is good?
isn't it more prone to bellying over?

The skinny width is the best thing!
The Suzuki isnt as wide as the other trucks ruts so it doesnt get bellied all the time

Dont you guys usually put jeep axles under yours?
Jeeps are pretty expensive over here so thats not really an option,
Im playing with an idea of putting Toyota Prado axles under mine, so I get the coil springs as well, and maybe the electric locker
That is, if the rev limiter in the passenger seat will let me....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wheelbase is the distance between the front and back wheels. Track is the distance from one tire to the other on the front or back.
thanks for the clarification mate.
i'm quite new to these terminologies...
i hope u will keep on enlightening me as i build my knowledge on off-roading and 4x4's...:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
we knew what you meant. but it's good to have the right terminology in our vocabulary and people who will remind us to use it.

What MOF was talking about with the narrower track.... On well used trails and dirt roads, the other vehicles wear a "rut" in the road with their tires. This results in a large hump in the middle of the road. With a wider track, your tires ride in the ruts and the hump in the middle will scrape and rake at the axle. Having your wheels closer to the center of the road means you will be riding the edges of the hump instead of down in the ruts. This gives you more clearance for your axles and you don't need to use a tall tire to keep off the hump. Another bonus with the samurai axles, The samurai/jimny/sierra has off set differentials so that the center of the rut isn't hitting at the lowest point on the truck.. that helps too.

If you don't drive down rutted trails and roads then it's a non-issue. As far as a wider tire, they're good for running on soft sand in the desert or on a beach. They're good for staying on top of snow. They're good for wrapping around rocks when you drop the tire pressure and go crawling and picking your way through a quarrey. They're bad for digging through mud, they don't provide good bite in medium to hard packed dirt, and they don't give you good on-road traction in wet, rainy conditions. A wider tire will also pull a lot more and is harder to turn, especially when it is aired down. If you don't have power steering, a big fat tire can be a pain in the neck for smaller guys. So pick your tires according to your location and your driving application.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Over where?

<--- Location: New Zealand :p

isn't it more prone to bellying over?
Im guessing you mean rolling over? Off road you got to be mindful of the lack of width (driving over banks a little more square than most others) the suzukis so short and such a good turning circle its easy to turn a little more than usual.
And on the road I can take corners much faster than other wider vehicles. I've been followed by pajeros, landcruisers, terranos/pathfinders, and they all almost ran off the road trying to take corners at the same speed! Plus i was in frontwheel drive as my rear pinion run a bearing and I had the rear propshaft sitting on the passenger floor.

Im referring to bellying as in getting hung up on lumpy bits on the diffs etc.

I mean for example the left wheels ride in the left wheel rut, and the right wheels sit on top of the lump between the ruts hence better clearance under vehicle. (most other 4wd's are wider than suzukis and most other 4wd's made those ruts in the first place)

Oh and thanks Bartacus, I hit "reply" before noticing there was a second page and reading your reply

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very useful info mates...u really know your stuff!

by the way...anybody knows what is the largest and widest tire that i could fit in a stock Jimny (2010 model) without the need for lifts or spacers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts