Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

I recently bought a 1985 Sj413 sierra and i think the engine is on it's way out...

Every now and then the starter motor spins but doesnt throw out to engage the flywheel, guessing it's a solenoid problem, but i've bought a replacement starter for the sake of it as it's probably getting on in age.

The engine has a little rattle in it which seems to be just caused by vibrations, but is annoying as hell, i've had a look and can't find anything, every now and then when i drive the car when i don't warm it up properly, when i come to a stop, the engine idles at around 2-3 thousand revs...

Once up to operating temp i've set the idle to around 850-1000 and once driven and fully warm it'll idle around 1000-1200 yet on this one day it went to 2-3 thousand?

Engine also sounds like it misses when idleing around 850-1000. Yet not while driving. Could this be timing issue? Or is this deeper in the carby?

Just did a full service including fuel and air filters, oil and filter, coolant flush and thermostat, plugs and leads, fan belt and gave the carby a hit with some cleaner.

She still sounds a little sick, although a little smoother and doesn't miss AS bad but it's definitely still there!

What can i do to spruce the engine back up? Besides a rebuild but if thats what it's gonna take then so be it.

I have just ordered a new radiator and hoses as the current one has seen better days and will not utilize the overflow.

What else could i do to fix or help these slight niggling issues?

Cheers - Brodie

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your really flying blind, untill you get a timing light on it.And do a compression test.The carbies are complex little bugger`s.
You start out by playing with things when hot and cold with and with out a electrical load , or take it too someone who knows them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts