Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm just wondering if anyone has experimented with finding the best ignition timing setting for a stock-standard J20A Grand Vitara? I'm hoping to maximize the Low-RPM power if that's even possible.

Can it be adjusted with only basic hand tools? I've noticed that the Camshaft Position Sensor on my vehicle could be easily swiveled by loosening the torx bolt.

Also, which way does the Camshaft Position Sensor spin - would it be the same direction as the bottom pulley on the front of the engine?

Thanks heaps in advance for your advice!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
The old folk here have a saying that goes like this - don't trouble trouble - in a nutshell, don't go making trouble for yourself.

From the questions you're asking it's clear that you lack the experience & understanding required, and probably the tools & equipment needed to correctly reset the timing at the end of the exercise - you're unlikely to be able to improve on the factory settings, so just leave it.

The ignition timing on most EFI engines (J20 included) is controlled by the ECU, and adjusted as necessary based on operating conditions, the adjustment on the cam position sensor is there to set what is known as the "base" timing - the reference that the computer uses to set the actual timing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you lack the experience & understanding required
Thanks Fordem, I'll try not to take that the wrong way... I'll assume that you personally don't lack the understanding required (unlike me, apparently) and are not being sexist.

Do you know whether the factory setting is the best or not? That's really my main question.

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Jasmine:

Thanks Fordem, I'll try not to take that the wrong way... I'll assume that you personally don't lack the understanding required (unlike me, apparently) and are not being sexist.
You have totally misunderstood the values on this forum..

First with regard your "sexist" remark, had you not mentioned, we would have not known your gender...

Second, if you had to pose the question of timing, that infers that you do not know the basics

Heed Fordem's advice.....

.... Philip

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I guess a guy could be using the username Jasmine :D

There is obviously some procedure for setting the base timing - given the adjustability of the cam sensor. It's probably supposed to be checked at some service interval and could need adjusting?

In other vehicles there is often some loom plug that needs to be shorted to set the ECU into base timing mode. Then you use a timing light and check degrees BTDC, adjusting the sensor if required.

It's not something you'd want to go changing without all the correct tools and knowledge, but I don't think the question should be totally dismissed.

If you're prepared to run higher octane fuel then you could obtain more power with slightly advanced timing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jasmine:

You have totally misunderstood the values on this forum..

First with regard your "sexist" remark, had you not mentioned, we would have not known your gender...

Second, if you had to pose the question of timing, that infers that you do not know the basics

Heed Fordem's advice.....

.... Philip
Why thank you Philip, glad you see you're being 'supportive'.
I changed the head gasket on my previous car (92 Swift) which amongst other things included re-aligning the timing belt and setting the ignition timing. I also have set the ignition timing on several non-EFI cars. This is my first EFI / Non-distributor vehicle and I thought I could get some step-by-step instructions from someone who has set the timing on their own GV before. From now on I will stick to my workshop manual.
I'm a bit disappointed but I take what I can get I suppose. Thanks anyway.

Thanks Murcod for the high-octane suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts