Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! New to the forum!

I own a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 4dr, 4X4, 5spd, JLX 2.0L with about 58K miles. Looking to change the valve cover gasket, serpentine belt, idler tensioner pulley, and all fluids for rear diff, frnt diff, and transmission. I have heard good things about redline fluids. Just wanted to check with the experts on specific weight of fluid... Is 75W90 good for all?

Recently got into a slight fender bender, and messed up front bumper cover. Any possible good places to purchase new cover, or slightly used? Found one on rock auto for ~$116, not including shipping. Or paint.

Thanks for any input, and will try to use this thread (if possible?) for most of my concerns/questions regarding keeping this thing in the best shape possible. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't forget the transfer case! :) I believe I just used some regular 75w-90 for my differentials. Just make sure and remove the upper fill plugs first so you can be sure that you can get them out no problem before draining all the fluid out. I ended up having to order three plugs to replace mine that were nearly stripped out. Also, a special socket is needed to properly remove/install the differential plugs - Amazon.com: CTA 2037 Square Head Drain Plug Socket, 10mm: Automotive

·
Registered
75 Posts
well for the transfer case, I read that you have to use a specific gear oil that is approved for yellow metals (gl4 i think?) Anyways, I used a valvoline gear oil in the transfer case that was approved for both gl4 and gl5 applications ...and I had to order one fill plug and one drain plug, both for the rear differential. I remember now that it was two not three...the other plugs were in good enough condition to re-use as long as I had the right 10 mm square end socket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So, am confused a bit. This is what I have gathered, I can use redline 75W90 for manual tranny, and transfer case. But need a GL5 fluid for differentials? I did read the posts Max linked (thank you), but can't figure out what redline product to order for the diff's. I am trying to learn this vehicle, but it is my first 4x4 and want to do it right. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Out of interest, the March 2004 Grand Vitara Owner's Manual (part number 99011-65D26-01E page 8-13) says the manual transmission, transfer oil and front diff should use GL4 75W85, 75W90. I believe that is incorrect- unless there is a difference with the later model front diffs? Every other source I've found suggests the front diff requires GL5 Hypoid, the same as the rear diff.

Another point is Redline make GL5 75W90NS gear oil - that is rated at the better GL5 rating and suitable for use in manual transmissions (brass/ bronze synchro friendly.) I believe the 75W90NS is not recommended for hypoid diffs on the Redline site, due to it not containing the required additives.

PS: From research I've done, all Redline GL5 oils are "yellow metal" friendly (brass/ bronze). However, the other additives in their normal 75W90 GL5 will not allow synchros to work correctly.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
You are confusing me David with your latest info as in sound contradictory.

Are you stating that the referenced gear oils in my post #8 are NOT the correct ones? :huh:

I don't understand the point the you are attempting to make, I guess.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sorry, I thought it was pretty self explanatory? I didn't say the oils you recommended are incorrect. I did raise the issue my factory manual doesn't quite agree (but also said I believe the manual is in error.) It would be good to have this confirmed - any Suzuki techs reading?

The main point is you can run the "higher spec" GL5 Redline 75W90NS oil (note the NS part!) in the GV manual trans. Being a GL5 oil it will provide better protection.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil

-Designed for transmissions and transaxles - helps to slow synchros for easier shifting across a broad temperature range
-Popular in Ferrari, Porsche and Subaru transaxles
-Musclecar applications like Ford Top Loader, Borg-Warner T-10 and Super T-10, and Muncie transmissions
-Contains extreme pressure additives like our 75W90 GL-5 oil, but lacks friction modifiers to balance slipperiness
-Improved copper corrosion protection to prolong synchro life
- Helps with lock-up on weak limited-slip differentials-compatible with Red Line Limited Slip Friction Modifier for tuning slippage
Also used with clutch-type LSDs in racing for maximum lock up
Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360
I mentioned this oil because the subject is "Best fluid for trans, rear diff, frnt diff?" The Redline 75W90NS GL5 oil will provide greater protection than a GL4 oil - and (in this case) without the normal increased wear on the "yellow metals" (ie. synchros) that happens with other brand GL5 oils. That's why Suzuki (and other manufacturers) specify the GL4.

PS: Yes, I have used it in my manual vehicles with no ill effects.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
That's why Suzuki (and other manufacturers) specify the GL4.
Then I think it would be safest and prudent to use the GL-4 in the non-diff applications as factory directed, no? ;)

My point is, why opt for a possible replacement oil (somewhat clouded in material make-up / application) when the "per spec" item is readily available. :)

In response to your mentioned 2004 GV Service Manual probable print error, we're talking as applicable to the OP's 2000 GV, thus my questioning of the relevancy here.

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Just my $0.02 - back when these manuals were written, GL4 oils were readily available & GL5 oils were considered unsuitable for syncromesh transmissions - that situation has changed - the formulations of the oil(s) has (have) changed since the manuals were written, new grades of oil have been introduced, specified grades are no longer available.

This is analogous to your using a 5w30 API SN/SM oil in your engine when the manual calls for SG, SH or SJ - (SN/SM is the currently available spec, I'd be surprised if you can find anything older than SL on the market).

The newer grades of engine oil have less zinc dithiophosphate (an anti-wear additive) because it has been discovered that like lead, zinc can poison the catalytic converters, but, with less zinc, there is the potential for more wear on older engines.

To go back to the GL4/5 debate - back then GL5 oils were not considered suitable for syncromesh transmissions because one of the common additives used was sulphur, and the sulphur attacked the softer brass/bronze used on the syncho rings - newer GL5 oils are using different additives and some of them are safe for use in a syncromesh transmission.

I have been running a "yellow metal friendly" GL5 in ALL of my vehicles - axles, transmissions & transfer cases for over a decade now, with no apparent ill effects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All Good Info! I do own a base Vitara, no Grand Vitara here (not that the trans is different). Was questioning the specific oil to use, because I had read elsewhere that you could use the same in all, but wanted to confirm. I will be purchasing the GL4, and GL5.

Good to know Fordem!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.