Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am completing a comprehensive rebuild on my new-to-me '87 Sami SE, but other than a set of flat-top 0.5mm oversize pistons, it's dead stock.

The carb was in poor shape (filthy, pieces removed, but vehicle ran well except restarts had to be w/ throttle wide open w/ lots of cranking), with the EGR cut off the intake manifold (manifold cut with JB Weld on everything) and most emissions equipment missing, including the air cleaner assembly.

Unfortunately, my state (TX) says that a vehicle's emission equipment must be intact regardless of what it costs to do so* (a new stock intake, carb, and components prices out at nearly $2000), so I am looking to install something that "LOOKS" stock (I doubt if it looked stock they would study for anything missing), and that might increase performance a least a tiny bit.

I have an old Weber 32/36 left over from my BMW 2002 days that I understand is used w/ an adapter, but that seems like far too much carb for a 1300cc engine.

Any suggestions of something that will bolt on, maybe rather complete, and from what "Pick-A-Part" doner car I might extraqct such a component.

Obviously, I want to be "green," but spending $2000 on a vehicle I paid $2000 for in good running order is rather extreme!

Bob
*Waivers are available for those that fail emissions, but even if you pass (but are missing parts) you fail and are not eligible for a waiver.
A "Reman" carb is $477 exchange, and a new one is $1100 w/ no exchange necessary).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run a Weber 34/34 on my stock 1.3 without issue. Runs great and gets good mileage. You can also get the adapter so the stock air cleaner will fit the weber. I am pretty certain you will need to rejet the 32/36 to get it tuned for your smaller displacement engine, if using the carb that is currently jetted for the larger BMW engine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
No way I'd buy a new manifold.

You might post a "want to buy" for the manifold, check on ebay, or check with SamuraiSalvage.com - used Samurai parts & vehicles and/or SuzukiJohn - The Las Vegas Source for Samurai Parts Service Sales

For the carb, a Toyota 3K carb could probably be made to look very stock, not even needing an adaptor. Ack's FAQ Samurai Toyota Carburetor Conversion

You could make the Weber work, but you might be better off trading it for a smaller carb unless you plan to do some engine mods to utilize the bigger carb.

Of course, it will all depend on the inspector, and the knowlege/resources they have. Here in California, the visual inspection can be pretty serious, but I know that I got away with a lot more in Texas when I lived there, even in Houston which has emissions testing.

I have not dealt with these people, but there is a rebuilt stock carb for $250 here;
http://importcarburetors.com/contents/en-us/d3_suzuki_samurai.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No way I'd buy a new manifold.

You might post a "want to buy" for the manifold, check on ebay, or check with SamuraiSalvage.com - used Samurai parts & vehicles and/or SuzukiJohn - The Las Vegas Source for Samurai Parts Service Sales

For the carb, a Toyota 3K carb could probably be made to look very stock, not even needing an adaptor. Ack's FAQ Samurai Toyota Carburetor Conversion

You could make the Weber work, but you might be better off trading it for a smaller carb unless you plan to do some engine mods to utilize the bigger carb.

Of course, it will all depend on the inspector, and the knowlege/resources they have. Here in California, the visual inspection can be pretty serious, but I know that I got away with a lot more in Texas when I lived there, even in Houston which has emissions testing.

I have not dealt with these people, but there is a rebuilt stock carb for $250 here;
Suzuki (Samurai)
Thanks-I will check the Toyota carb out.

I am gathering new web-sites in my Samurai folder, so new ones that relate are appreciated regardless of what Sami aspect they involve! You can never have too many sources of information.

The second reason for not beeing keen on a 32/36 is that it looks non-stock, and that finding a Sami-compatable air cleaner for it may be difficult (the rectangular chrome one that is on mine, and most kits, would stick out like a sore thumb and likely trigger a more complete under-hood perusal.

I don't know how serious the underhood check is in TX, except that they DO one, and what the rules say.

Hopefully, if the stuff under the hood "looks" stock (no big chrome air cleaners, or a bunch of wires and connectors are sitting unhooked and obvious), I can get past them OK.

My carb has NO air cleaner (removed by some P.P.), so I need to find something that will fit it. I need to visit a pick-a-part and go "shopping" for possible replacements that would look "period-correct," even if not a Samurai (I called and they have no Samis and seldom do).

I had one real shock yesterday when starting the rebuilt engine. Despite the OEM carb looking as if it had been stored in a sludge/saltwater mixture for some years, and despite that I re-used the old cork gasket (trimmed to account for swelling) when re-assembling it after trying to clean it, the engine started on the tenth revolution after pumping fuel to the carb, and ran like it had just been shut down minutes before. The idle is dead smooth, and the acceleration is smooth, and it makes good power.

That makes me want to try to sneak it through emissions before spending money and time rigging another setup. I honestly thought the existing carb would be toast! Since the entire side-plate w/ the automatic choke is now gone, I will have to try to rig up a manual choke cable, but since if I can find a non-remote air cleaner (the OEM one does not camoflage the carb sitting underneath), it WILL hide the carb if it's black, and large diameter as most import air cleaners are.

I head back to TX next week (I am presently in WA where I bought the Sami), and will try to register it here as a non-resident if they will allow me to do so (I have a local address I can use), as they have NO emissions testing here, and that will give me a year to do what I may need to do on the Sami.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts