Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys just got our new 2012 sx4 crossover, and I am looking for the best cap wrench for this filter. Wife bought a Fram 65-67mm cap wrench it works but tends to slip off, even with the non grip filter. I'm not close to a dealer ( we had to have a car shipped from Witicha to NW WA.) I think the Fram is too shallow and the 3/8 drive on my torque wrench spaces the cap too far out, It does OK with just a normal 3/8 drive. If you have a good brand torque wrench and filter and cap wrench combo let me know...... Also is 120 inch pounds correct? I got spooked when my cheep torque wrench that starts at 120 in lb kept turning and I went back to the old school by hand ....I have also looked at just using a K&N filter with the nut on top but I dont think I could get a 1 inch socket down there to torque it. We are good for now we just hit 1,000 mi. second oil change. LOVE the car, red 6 speed , HATE the oil filter! I read the other threads and second oil change was much better BUT.......:cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Take a filter down to the nearest NAPA and have them show you their wrench. I ordered a 65~67 wrench on line and it was unuseable, Autozone & Advance either had nothing or the same wrench that didn't work, and I now use the NAPA one.

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
A note of caution...not all BRAND filters accept the same wrench. This is particularly a problem with the can end-fitting notched style tool you use with a socket wrench. The "band" style, not so much.

So if you find the tool that works now, first double check the fit against other manufactures filters you buy in the future or stick w/the exact same filter you have now. ;)

And don't go "cheap" on one. You get what you pay for.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you Max, my problem is when I can measure the filter at 65mm and then order a 65-67mm wrench, and it does not fit - it was too small and there is no way it would have fitted a 67mm filter either.

Take the filter into the store and make sure it fits. Mind you it was quite amusing watching the guy at Advance take my filter over to his display and try to fit it into each on of the wrenches.

The strap (or band) style works well - IF - there is space to swing it - not so easy on a GV is it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, just went to NAPA but I did not take my filter. I tried to buy a filter and wrench,the counter person told me he didn't have a filter listing for a 2112 SX4 crossover. I will need to go back with a filter in hand. The one we put on yesterday was a Puralator I hope by the time we change the oil I have a better grip wrench.....

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
To go into a bit more detail...

Try and stay with the OE (Suzuki) filter or a Wix. Purolator is good too.

I don't see a huge selection and for some reason and the Purolator isn't listed here, but...
2012 SUZUKI SX4 Oil Filter

On the end cap style wrenches....I had some disposable income (a B-Day Snap-On gift certificate from my son), so I purchased a set like this...

Long story short...none of them fit, although the advertised diameters were in range. Come to find out, they make another (very pricey) kit with 24 different size pieces! :eek: So I missed the size / notch style mark I guess.

I'm back to using my 30+ year old band style again. It DOES have a nice additional swivel handle feature that allows for engine interference issues on my 2.5 GV (Fordem) :)
I DID have to buy an additional smaller band style to fit the wife's Honda filter though. :mad: I think I've got all of the sizes covered now.

Something like this...

This "universal fit" end cap style is out there too (there are several styles of it), but my gut doesn't trust the design.

Another choice is this medieval mother, but tool access would be an issue in most engine designs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try and stay with the OE (Suzuki) filter or a Wix. Purolator is good too.

I don't see a huge selection and for some reason and the Purolator isn't listed here, but...
2012 SUZUKI SX4 Oil Filter

On the end cap style wrenches....I had some disposable income (a B-Day Snap-On gift certificate from my son), so I purchased a set like this...

Long story short...none of them fit, although the advertised diameters were in range. Come to find out, they make another (very pricey) kit with 24 different size pieces! :eek: So I missed the size / notch style mark I guess.

I'm back to using my 30+ year old band style again. It DOES have a nice additional swivel handle feature that allows for engine interference issues on my 2.5 GV (Fordem) :)
I DID have to buy an additional smaller band style to fit the wife's Honda filter though. :mad: I think I've got all of the sizes covered now.

Something like this...

This "universal fit" end cap style is out there too (there are several styles of it), but my gut doesn't trust the design.

Another choice is this medieval mother, but tool access would be an issue in most engine designs.
I also have the vice grips, this is what I had to resort to for the 500 mi. change because we put the grip Fram filter on. Cap wrench would not work ,learned that the hard way! I'm not sure what a wix filter is but we are about 50 mi. from the nearest Suzuki dealer so i'm trying to find one that would be bought locally....... The band wrench won't work there's not enough room to turn it. Soo we try the Fram cap wrench with my new torque wrench and the Puralator filter when the time comes if it won't budge I'll vise grip it and continue to look for a NAPA/ ? cap wrench with a filter in hand maybe I'll try to get a cross ref. for a NAPA ????

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
Wix is just another major brand, which may or may not be available to you. We have them locally, but I get them a 4-6 at a time, shipped from RockAuto.

I'll try to get a cross ref. for a NAPA ????
That'll work, although their filters are more than likely a re-brand w/their name on it. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts