Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I have been lurking around this site for a while and have consistently read that installing a 2" exhaust system and new headers is the best bang for buck.

I was hoping someone here could clarify just how great an advantage this modification will yield. Any info regarding economy, performance and overall feel would be greatly appreciated.

At present my sierra is stock, but this is the first upgrade i am seriously considering.

Cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
94 Posts
I run a header and a short 2.25" exhaust system (less than 1m in length) that is dumped just in front of the rear wheel on a Samurai. I used a short connector poece to the header then a 40 cm long "blue bottle" "muffler" then a 70 degree tail pipe. I found this set up to be quite efficient with both power and mileage. I am running a 1.6L with stock gear ratios and 31" tires.

Hopfully this helps...sorry I don't have more imperical data to back up my results......but it feels good and sounds really mean!!! Like a sewing machine on steroids!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run a header and a short 2.25" exhaust system (less than 1m in length) that is dumped just in front of the rear wheel on a Samurai. I used a short connector poece to the header then a 40 cm long "blue bottle" "muffler" then a 70 degree tail pipe. I found this set up to be quite efficient with both power and mileage. I am running a 1.6L with stock gear ratios and 31" tires.

Hopfully this helps...sorry I don't have more imperical data to back up my results......but it feels good and sounds really mean!!! Like a sewing machine on steroids!!!
I too have a Samurai (1988) that I just put a Tri Mil Ceramic Coated header with two inch exhaust going though a Cherry Bomb glass pack muffler. I also put on a K & N Mega Flow Air Intake/Filter and the combo is very noticable in performance, acceleration, and a very cool rumble deep sound. Love it!
Zuken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zunken, that setup is almost exactly what i have been looking at. Does it do much for the top speed? My motivation is the dream of being able to drive uphill on a highway and not have a constant stream of traffic overtaking me.

Is the filter and exhaust enough for this or would i need further mods (new carb for example)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have a dream

we all have that dream, a good beathing exhaust system is cheapest way to get a few extra horsepower but if you look at the endless stream of cars that are over taking you , you will notice that they all 3 or 4 time the size engine your suzuki has. there is no substution for cubic inches!!!
just take comfort in the fact you are driving a much funner vechicle than they are!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
sorry but i dont think that anything you do to the 1.3 engine (at least cheap) will ever be able to pass those long line of cars.

but i have a pacesetter header, 2 inch exhaust, flowmaster 40 series muffler, and K & N filter . and this being said, it has more pep around town - but yeah never gonna pass those cars - they almost always will pass you. BUT with this set up, you might pass one every now and then, and just be happy and wave to those people. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
As squid says, there is no substitute for cubic inches. When I want to blast by the long line of cars I do it in my Dodge Ram with Turbo Cummins Diesel or my 67 Chevelle. With my Sammy set up, I also have 4.16 gears, 6 inch SPOA, 31 inch Truxus tires and it is 55 mph max on a flat road. It is fun in the sand hils, rocks, mountains, etc and it gets me to those areas when I need it to, or I tow it there with the Dodge. It is a lot of fun to drive and it turns heads. Most hard core jeepers turn up their noses and sneer, but I clear areas they can't and have spent about 1/3 of what they have to get my Sammy modified.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most hard core jeepers turn up their noses and sneer, but I clear areas they can't and have spent about 1/3 of what they have to get my Sammy modified.

lol... i used to be that jeeper guy that has come into the zuk world... it is different not being able to power down but one thing you certainly can do is HAMMER down on the trails and just go up over and through stuff those guys just dont even understand how. if you took away all their lockers, lift and rubber they couldnt even make it TO the trails. i used to wheel a 99 TJ with a 31"s and go farther faster than those guys with rubi's on 35"s that would scoff at my rig. can't wait to bring the sami out on trail rides this summer :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since I have got my 'zuki I have waaaay more friends! That is because I'm the only one that can rescue them and then procede to show them how it is done!

Since I went with the 1.6L I have plenty of power, I can 60 mph empty and 55 mph towing a skidoo trailer (yes with a skidoo!). All for close to 30 mpg. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pilsner... NICE!!! what kind of exhaust did you put back on for the 1.6L? blue bottle? is the header stock?

Zuken... did you put just a K&N filter on or is the "K & N Mega Flow Air Intake/Filter" you reference an actual replacement of the stock air box?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is an aftermarket header with the Blue bottle set up that I had previously refered to. The 1.6L that I put in has a beefed custom cam that came from KORE4X4.com, he gets them custom ground so it has that little lop of a V-8 and with the header and blue bottle everyone in town says they can hear me 3-4 blocks away! My sons teacher even made a comment that they could here me down shift in the school zone and all the little boys ran to the window to check out "Reign's Dad and the 'zuki". Oops!

I will post some pics of the 'zuki with the sled on a different thread hopefully today. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pilsner... NICE!!! what kind of exhaust did you put back on for the 1.6L? blue bottle? is the header stock?

Zuken... did you put just a K&N filter on or is the "K & N Mega Flow Air Intake/Filter" you reference an actual replacement of the stock air box?

ANSW:
I went with the MegaFlow K & N and was able to strip out a lot of hoses and clutter. It makes for a much cleaner and neater engine compartment. I mistakenly capped the one large hose that comes off the valve cover and leads to the PCV and wound up blowing oil out the seals and out the dip stick tube right past the dip stick, so I suggest also adding the cute little air breather cap on the valve cover hose. See the photo below

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm... my photo didn't seem to post into the email. Anybody help me with this? In the meantime, if you search the Gallery for photos posted by Zuken, you will see the Mega Flow install

·
Registered
32 Posts
power...

With my sidekick 1.8 i just oversized the valves upgraded the exhaust by an inch i think its 3" now put in a spectre cold air intake, straight piped exhaust.
Im thinking of taking off the belt driven fan and running electric to make it easier on the engine.
even with the mods cars will always pass but i still try!:lol:
with a high flow intake it makes the engine sound real bad! almost like a honda fart can:huh:
But i still like the deep growl i can get out of it just driving leasurly.^_^

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you don't have SOME back pressure then you will loose your low end torque. It will also run too lean with off throttle decelleration and you will dump unburnt fuel into the exhaust. If you run a header with a 2.5 inch collecter (standard size for most after market zuki headers) a 2.5 inch exhaust is too big (personal experience) Its too big even for a 4 throttlebody setup on the 1.3L engine. If you were running forced induction you could probably take advantage of a 2.5 inch exhaust but you'd be pushing your little engine really hard. (5psi boost is about as much as you should push through a stock 1.3L). As you reduce back pressure, you are trading low end torque for high end torque. Using natural aspiration, 2 inch exhaust is just about as big as you can go without unnecessary reduction of your preformance on the low end. Any larger than that and you won't see any gains on the high end but you will continue to sap low end power.
On the sidekick sport with the 1.8L engine and the 3 inch exhaust, keep in mind that your exhaust is only as large as the smallest diameter pipe. That would be the stock downpipe on your exhaust manifold in your case. I havn't seen a headder for the 1.8L or the 2.0L suzuki J engine except for some custom fabricated jobs, non-production so I'm assuming you have the stock downpipe which is definitely smaller than 3 inches, so you could effectively put as large a straight pipe as you want on it and not hurt your backpressure at all.

Edit: sorry about the confusion, the 1.8L DOHC 16 valve is the G18K engine. I said it was a "J" engine. The sidekick 2.0L DOHC 16 valve was the J engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you post the photos of that sierra. I want to see if it will fits in my preference. I hope you will have a good upgrade with it. :D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Edit: sorry about the confusion, the 1.8L DOHC 16 valve is the G18K engine. I said it was a "J" engine. The sidekick 2.0L DOHC 16 valve was the J engine.
I thought the 1.8 was a J engine.

·
Super Moderator
12,429 Posts
I thought the 1.8 was a J engine.
It IS.

The avatar pic shows an SV418 SideKick Sport which has the J18A engine - to the best of my knowledge Suzuki never made a G18, the largest displacement engine in the G family is the G16.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts