Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 89 samurai, the motor has been replaced and it runs great. While going through the regular maintenance I noticed that the belt for alternator and water pump was frayed on the sides. After replacing is when it was noticed that the alternator pulley was out of alignment. Checked all bolts for the bracket, and checked water pump alignment with crank pulley. It is the alternator out of alignment. With the motor replacement the v-belt set up was replaced by a serpentine belt. How can I adjust to get the alternator back into alignment? I'm also assuming the motor replacement is a 1.3 as it is still carbureted, haven't checked the block yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First photo shows the alternator and belt misalignment and second shows alignment of water pump and crank.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
Wow. That's a bunch. :(

Half inch or so off. Looks like the alternator is additionally cocked at a slight angle too! :huh:

Difficult to determine what the parts mix-match is though. Maybe the wrong alt for the application? Wrong or different attachment points? Brackets installed flipped or reversed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im leaning towards the top alt bracket being wrong. Bottom bracket only goes on one way. Most top brackets ive seen have an indention where it bolts to motor. Basically pulling alt back in theory anyway.

·
Registered
616 Posts
from what I can see there is something very wrong about how the alternator is mounted.

It looks like it is mounted about the width of the adjuster bracket forward from it's correct position.

Also, that adjuster bracket does not look right. The tab with the hole in it is not part of an OEM 1.3 adjuster bracket.

I would start by carefully examining the alternator lower mounting bracket to see if it has been fabricated or other wise does not look "stock".

The unused grooved belt pulley makes me think that the engine may not be a 1.3. You can check by looking at the flat surface on the rear edge of the block on the driver's side just below the master cylinder. It should have the block displacement cast into that surface: 1298/1324 = 1.3, 1596 = 1.6.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the casting and all i found was the G16 stamp. No cc size. I will disassemble the alt and brackets over the weekend to inspect.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I cant see it very well but it looks like the WP and lower pulley are lined up but the alternator alone is out of alignment. If you were thinking about a GM alt conversion this might be the time to do it. The upper mount should be fairly easy to rework but I cant imagine the lower mount allowing that much movement, is there even a bolt in the lower?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, It appears you have a 1.6L.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
A little late to the party but here's some pics of my '92 Tracker 8v alt./brackets/belt:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the photos. Im currently waiting on the 105 amp ugrade to arrive with new bottom bracket. Looking at your photos seems my top bracket does not have that indention where it bolts to the water pump (perhaps i have a different year model tracker motor). If the upgrade bracket doesnt fix it only thing else it can be is the top bracket.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had a top bracket that didnt line up.

I installed the aftermarket lower bracket and the GM alternator, snugged up the lower bolt fairly well and hung the belt over it and pulled it tight by hand to make sure alignment was good. The lower bracket and lower bolt held it right in place, just tight enough that it would stay put but I could nudge it by hand. The belt was in perfect alignment but still needed to take care of a top bracket. I used the alternator held in place with the lower bolt as a mach up and found another Suzuki top bracket and with a vice and hammer I put a gentle offset in it, I had to alter and test fit it a few times before I was able to get it really close.

I think when it was done I had to shim it with a thin washer to get it just perfect but it looks and works perfect with no funny shim stacks. Looks great and very solid. YMMV but it's been working fine for a few years now.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome!! Im almost certain i have the 57B. I went ahead and ordered a 56B last night and it should arrive about the same time as the 105 amp alternator. Everyone has been very helpful and i will be sure to post if in fact the bracket was the issue.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Did you ever get this figured out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did. Sorry for the late reply. Once i received the upgrade and a new/used top bracket and installed everything it was in fact the wrong top bracket. Everything is lined up now and running smooth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts