Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have had my samurai for a few months now. all of a sudden I walked out my house and I can hear a beeping noise from my sammy. I'm pretty sure i pin pointed it too behind the gauge cluster but i cant find what its coming from exactly. if i pull the key out it stops. if i put the key in and wiggle the key around in the ignition it trys to stop. i tried pulling all fuses and it will not go off. any help would be greatly appretiated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,337 Posts
You say if you pull the key out it stops - why are you leaving the key in it?

Most Suzukis have a "key reminder" beeper, some have it on the back of the gauge cluster, others have it under the dash - in short, if you leave the key in the ignition and get out, it is supposed to beep.

Three things are required to trigger it - 1) there must be a key in the ignition, 2) the ignition must be off, 3) the driver's door must be open. If yours does not operate like this there may be a switch or wiring issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dont really have to worry about anybody stealing it so i leave key in it. and before there was no beep at all. do you know what it looks like or a picture of it. maybe a little bit more exact location of the beeper?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Small rectangular box to the right of the instrument cluster, above the heater controls, between the dash vents, behind the dash. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to without removing the dashboard. I removed mine when I had the dash out to replace all the dash and defrost vents. If you had asked this a couple of weeks earlier, I could have told you what color the wire to it were. You may be able to pull the plug on it, if you can even see it. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hopefully there is a fuse for it

maybe the door switch is sticking or the wire on it is grounding out telling the relay the door is open....squirt some WD-40 in it and push it in and out a few times to loosen it up and check that wiring up real close. not sure if the passenger door affects the relay.
Joe

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hopefully there is a fuse for it

maybe the door switch is sticking or the wire on it is grounding out telling the relay the door is open....squirt some WD-40 in it and push it in and out a few times to loosen it up and check that wiring up real close. not sure if the passenger door affects the relay.
Joe
There is a fuse for it, unfortunatly, it most likely has other things on the circuit, like the instrument panel. The key beeper shares the grounding system that activates the dome light.
The door switches work by grounding when extended. Not likely to be sticking and causing a completed circuit. Usually, they fail to complete the circuit, because the aren't grounding out when extended. A good place to look for a chafed wire would be the run to the dome light. The wires that feed the dome run along the drivers rocker panel space and up through the targa bar. They are not secured against movement and are a good place for an unwanted grounding to happen. They rattle around inside the sheet metal and wear through the insulation.
I just got through replacing the wiring on a Samurai, where some moron decided to keep putting in a 30 amp fuse in a 10 amp circuit. It melted wires together in the main harness under the dash and caused other circuits to short out, too. All because of a short in the dome light.
The short melted the hot and ground together, all the way from the harness under the dash, to the dome light. I took the targa bar off when I repainted the Sammy, so, I was able to run new wiring inside the body and targa bar.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10311097163/

·
Registered
13 Posts
not find the beeper and cut the wires to it - problem solved!

my santana buit samurai does not have this level of sophistication :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why would you cut the wires instead of unplugging the buzzer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts