Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the battery light does not go out when the engine running!
When measure at the battery terminals, it is 12.58 v. When the engine is idling, it is 14.19 v. Does the charging system work as normal otherwise the battery just gets drained??
What the supplement says:

What and where should I look into???

Thanks for your helps as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
625 Posts
Those look like good numbers to me -- which tells me the charging system (belt & alternator) are OK. Others will have some useful suggestions soon.

I assume it's running OK????

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
With your ignition switch off, remove the connector to the alternator. Now turn the key to the on position (do not start the engine). Does the light stay on?? If so, check for a short in the wire running from instrument panel to the alternator. In the 1.6 Sidekick, this should be a white/red wire, but I don’t know what color it would be in the Sport.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With your ignition switch off, remove the connector to the alternator. Now turn the key to the on position (do not start the engine). Does the light stay on?? If so, check for a short in the wire running from instrument panel to the alternator. In the 1.6 Sidekick, this should be a white/red wire, but I don’t know what color it would be in the Sport.
Thanks Bex. There are two connectors, not only one. One with the coupler and the other with a bolt. If I remove the connector with the coupler and turn the key to the on position, no battery light!

Do I remove the other connector with the bolt??

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happens if I unplug the alternator then start the car? I can't remember if the idiot light is supposed to light up if the alternator is unplugged or not.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
What happens if I unplug the alternator then start the car? I can't remember if the idiot light is supposed to light up if the alternator is unplugged or not.
You run the risk of killing any electronics.

Idiot light lights only when plugged in via the connector

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May be some times it is a bad diode in alt??

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Easy enough to run a ripple test..

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Somebody comments to me: This is just guesswork off the top of my head, but I understand that the lamp is supposed to light if the battery voltage is higher than the alternator output. If that's right, there must be a diode in series with the lamp, to prevent it lighting when the alternator output is higher than the battery. Now, if that's right, and the diode has gone short circuit, that would explain what you are seeing.

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
Thanks Bex. There are two connectors, not only one. One with the coupler and the other with a bolt. If I remove the connector with the coupler and turn the key to the on position, no battery light!

Do I remove the other connector with the bolt??
The FSM advises that if the light goes out, then the issue is with the generator, rather than with the wiring, and advises to remove the alternator then check the regulator

·
Registered
1991 Geo Tracker/8V/Manual & 1996 Geo Tracker/16V/Auto
19 Posts
This is going to sound really stupid, but you obviously checked to make sure the belt tension is sufficient and the belt isn’t worn or slipping?

Mine was having issues and the bolt to tighten the alternator vibrated loose and was causing the battery light to come on.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Somebody who gives me the comments has sent this video:

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
The video is a good explanation, but it doesn’t explain why the light would remain on if your alternator is actually charging properly, which is what you’re indicating in your first post. Normally, one would expect that the issue would be with that wire getting 12v from another source, however you advise that with the connector disconnected, the light goes out.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
The video is a good explanation, but it doesn’t explain why the light would remain on if your alternator is actually charging properly, which is what you’re indicating in your first post. Normally, one would expect that the issue would be with that wire getting 12v from another source, however you advise that with the connector disconnected, the light goes out.
If the regulator is faulty internally its not uncommon for them to charge ok but have a permanent charge light lit. Unfortunately the only cure in this case is replacement of the regulator

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The guy answered back to your comments:
If the connector you have disconnected is No 1 on the diagram, of course the light will go out, as the circuit the light is on is interrupted. Do you see the diode in red, marked with the blue arrow? If that diode is short circuiting, the light will go on all the time,

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
You might want to check the diagrams for YOUR vehicle - I'd be very surprised if that diode marked in red is fitted.

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
That confirms what I'm saying - the diode you're being told about is not used on your vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts