Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, it's been a long time since I last posted on here. Both me and my 2001 (51 plate UK) Jimny JLX M13A 1328cc got a bit older. Jimbo needs attention.

The fuse box at the side of the battery holds some (female PAL?) heavy duty fuses. They all pull out easily apart from the 80amp battery fuse which appears stuck. Any ideas how to remove please?

Also the male plug and female socket on the alternator appear to be stuck. Do I squeeze and pull the long side or the short sides of the plug to get them apart or is there another way?

I could try brute force and ignorance but don't want to damage anything.

Initial fault, engine squealing on start up then went away. Power loss on motorway. My diagnosis with voltmeter no charge to battery. Alternator at fault.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know your Zuk is different than the ones I have here but I noticed on some of the Suzuki power boxes all those fuses pull out but the heaviest one actually appears to be fastened down along the sides of the box with small terminal bolts that fasten power leads. Not sure this pertains to yours but it should be visible if looking at the sides of the box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info CJ. There is a nut holding the cable on under the fuse mount but not sure if or how it locks the fuse. I'm in the mind of if it aint broke don't fix it. I just want to know for future reference.
My main problem is getting that alternator plug apart in limited space and cable length. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the info and pics Dudleydo. I can see it now. I went the way of 'if you can't do it ... it'. As in 'pay for' :lol: The plug was underneath the alternator, hard to grip and hard to see even with a mirror. I had a local mechanic fit a replacement alternator today and ended up being towed the last half mile as the car gave up completely! Hopefully sorted now and I can see the plug on this one.

One thing still puzzles me though. The 80amp battery fuse. When I collected the car I asked the mechanic if he knew if it should just pull out like the others. He thought yes, but like me tried and failed.

Is there any one out there with a UK 2001 (or thereabouts) Jimny whose 80amp battery fuse simply pulls in and out or knows if it is held somehow by the cable bolt underneath at the side?

I am still thinking along the lines of if it ain't broke ... but hope someone who pulls Jimnys apart for fun can tell me please.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
To the best of my knowledge they have to be unbolted. I believe you may have to undo the fusebox to get at the bolts :confused:

Suzuki part numbers show this :thumbsup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I checked out my fusebox for you. You will find a 10mm/phillips on either side under the fuse. Most (and I think OEM) have holes for those little bolts to pass through so you will have to completely back them out. The aftermarket ones are slotted on the end so you should be able to draw it out by only loosening those bolts. It will take like 5 minutes either way. It is the only one in the box fastened in such a way. Dont drop the bolts! haha
FWIW I believe if this fuse is popped your alternator will not charge, I may be wrong on that because mine is wired... alternatively... Get the fuses at any auto parts store. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Dudleydo and CJ. At least I now know the fuse hasn't welded itself in.:D

The fuse looked ok through the little window on top and the battery is charging again after the replacement alternator. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Probably good to go for another 10 years!

1 - 9 of 10 Posts