Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a second hand sierra, there is a small motorcycle sized battery fitted at the moment, i was just wandering wether or not you can put a regular car sized battery in sierras or if they have to have the smaller batteries?:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
You can put whatever will fit and is 12 volts. Heck, you can mount another battery on the other side if you want even more battery power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, ive got the battery out of dads prado, so ill use that one, so they run dual battery systems fine then?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes, but I'd probably invest in a bigger alternator first. There are kits for 100+ amp GM alternators available and I've also seen rewiring services to bring the stock alternator up to 120 amps.

If you actually need dual batteries, you'll probably need the bigger alternator to recharge them in a reasonable time. I believe the stock alternator is around 30 amps which is plenty for stock, but once you start adding lights, winches, compressors,..., rapidly becomes overloaded.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the high output alternators seem abit expensive especially when you add on the cost of shipping, however the 78amp GM dosnt look to bad though, so if you buy the Gm alternator and the GM swap bracket is that all you need to swap them? Also i am waiting for a reply email from a guy i saw sells alternator kits for sammys when i searchd the archives of the forum i think his put out around 100amps which would be nice also, are alternators hard to change?

·
Registered
212 Posts
The cost of rebuilding my stock Sami alternator was about the same cost as the purchase of a new GM alt...difference was the bracket needed to install the GM. The rebuilt was ofcourse, just reinstalled on the OEM brackets.
My battery guy tells me that my yellow top Optima will be adequately recharged by the stock alt...it will keep up with occasional use of my 6000# winch. The only question is what other electric draws u have on ur battery.
Some say the stock Sami alt that comes with the A/C option is larger capcity. Don't kno that for a fact.
Some say the use of a larger GM alt will also rob the 1.3 of some power.
Any battery will likely start the little engine...it's what else u make it do that makes the difference. Be careful taking ur 4x4 offroad with an old battery...they will usually quit according to Murphy's Law. Don't ask me how I kno.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've read a few posts about the 80 amp Grand Vitara alternator being a drop-in replacement with only the pully needing to be replaced.

A bigger alternator may pull an extra horsepower which would hardly be noticeable, but the extra rotational mass may slow down the throttle response even more than the actual power hit.

The stock alternator will charge any battery combination you are likely to fit in the Samurai. It's just that a larger alternator will recover the battery(s) from a heavy draw sooner. If you are running heavy loads often, then you need to calculate what the loads are and see if the stock alternator or the replacement will keep up.

It's ironic that my motorcycle (Honda GL1800) has more cylinders, displacement, power, and a much larger alternator than my Samurai.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
most likely all that it would be running is the car stereo a camp fridge and some lights, soo would this be a problem for the stock alt? also i know you can buy small solar panels the have leads to charge car batteries so would this also help take some stress of the alternator? i mean u use the solar panel while the car is not running to charge the second battery while it is running the camp appliances

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes, the stock alternator should do fine for that.

You should get a deep-cycle battery for running the fridge and lights and put an isolator or switch on it to prevent the starter battery from being discharged.

·
Registered
105 Posts
most likely all that it would be running is the car stereo a camp fridge and some lights, soo would this be a problem for the stock alt? also i know you can buy small solar panels the have leads to charge car batteries so would this also help take some stress of the alternator? i mean u use the solar panel while the car is not running to charge the second battery while it is running the camp appliances
i had my hid spotlights on with camp fridge and gps running when i got bogged the other night and i had to turn every thing off to use my winch the stock alt just couldn't handle it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had my hid spotlights on with camp fridge and gps running when i got bogged the other night and i had to turn every thing off to use my winch the stock alt just couldn't handle it
interesting to know, also i looked on the suzuki parts website and the stock alt for my car is rated at 50 amps, also i would be running a dual battery system so i wouldnt need an isolator switch, i think

·
Registered
328 Posts
The reason for the isolator would be to allow you to run the deep-cycle battery to full discharge without discharging the starter battery.

From what I understand, the replacement alternators are of higher capacity than the OEM supplied ones. If/when I need to replace my stock alternator, I'll be exploring the use of the Grand Vitara alternator.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ive been looking at a autron dual battery system to handle a deep cycle battery cos ive heard that it's a reputable system and they have a dual volt gauge

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes well i have a redarc one as dad had a brand new one as he was going to put it in his prado but then we got our camper trailer and that has a deepcycle system so he dosnt need it anymore so i scored big time hahah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts