Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2005 Suzuki Forenza S wagon. I need to replace the ball joint on the front right wheel. It seems like a pretty straight forward process. I will need to drill out the rivets to do it. My question is, is there an easy way to remove the ball joint shaft from the knuckle?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi. not sure if this is what your asking but, the whole part that you remove by drilling the rivets is whats replaced. you just need to bolt the new one into place.

·
Super Moderator
17,668 Posts
Like shown here.

2005 SUZUKI FORENZA Ball Joint

And you are lucky, as a lot of Zuki models require replacing the whole lower control ARM, as the ball joint is integral to it and not supplied separately. :) And that is my assuming that the S WAGON is the same config as the sedan.

And no, you can't remove the shaft from the knuckle. Not sure why one would want to even attempt that, unless I don't understand the question either.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Unless he means to remove the entire control arm? That does make the job a little easier... thats what I did lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the picture posted above is exactly what I am installing. It is a bolt on kind. The original is riveted onto the control arm. I was hoping someone had replaced the ball joint without removing the control arm. The ball joint shaft has to come out of the knuckle. Otherwise you would have to replace the whole knuckle, which would make sense.

I just aquired a pickle fork bar. I will let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My last post, I mistyped. I meant to say it 'wouldn't' make sense to have to replace the whole knuckle if replacing the ball joint. And I meant to say I just 'acquired' a pickle fork 'pry' bar.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the pickle fork pry bar worked like a charm to separate the bolt from the knuckle. Unfortunately, I had a mishap drilling out the rivets. I pushed too hard and went straight through the rivet, put a hole in the CV boot! Needless to say, I was not very happy. I read on a different post somewhere that the person fixed a similar problem with a inner tube patch. I decided to try it. The placement of the hole was right in the crease so it was really tricky to get the patch to sit right. I won't know if it will hold until I get the ball joint replaced. Has anyone replace a VB boot before?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just following up on my own thread. I did try the bicycle patch. It did work for a few days, but eventually started leaking again. I also tried rtv sealant (gasket sealant). That didn't work either.

I think that if the hole had been on a ridge of the boot, the bicycle patch would have worked. However, since it was more in a crease, the patch was never able to seal properly.

After exploring options, the easiest thing to do was replace the entire axle. There are slip boots available, but I didn't have time to figure it out.

Moral to the story: be very careful when doing work in the wheel well so as not to damage the cv boot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts