Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Recently purchased a '98 Suzuki Baleno GTX (Esteem) with the 1.8l J18 DOHC engine, 5sp Manual. I have noticed that the car on a cold start will sit above 2,000rpm for a good couple of minutes before then slowly going down to normal operating idle (below 1,000rpm). After engine has warmed up no further idle problems, and if i need to start the car again when its warm it starts fine.

I know its normal to have a high startup idle, but realistically it should drop back down alot sooner? Any ideas to what it could be?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks and pay close attention to the PCV valve - I've had one fail (on a J20) and it did exactly what you describe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fordem. I checked the PCV valve and it seems to be operating fine. Gave it a quick clean with carb cleaner. Checked also for vacuum leaks by spraying WD-40 around the different hoses, but I couldnt find any. Started it up, and still have the high idle, however it did maybe settle down quicker than normal, however the outside temparture was much warmer than previous days. Should I do an ECU reset an see if that maybe might solve something?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts