Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out a loud rattle that appears to be coming from the bell housing on my samurai?It rattles almost constant.I have got underneath while my buddy gave her gas and thats the best area I can find that its coming from?any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Does the rattle change with clutch engagement/disengagement?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Could it be a loose heatshield on the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep,I should've added that....it stops when I push in the clutch. And I have replaced the flywheel and installed a petrol works clutch about 2 yrs ago...can't figure it out......

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I have an aftermarket spun converter.... I checked the inspection plate too...that's not it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are a few things i can think of without actually hearing it. One did you put a new pilot bearing in the flywheel? Also did you do the propper breakin on the new clutch when you installed it? If so did you also put in a new throwout bearing? If all of these things were replaced when the new clutch was i dont know what it might be. First thing i would do is take off the inspection plate to see if there is anything from wheeling etc in there, or if anything went out on you. If you can't visually see the issue you'll have to pull the trans. But on the bright side when you do take it out it's at least an easy job.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea man,replaced all of that. Got it all at Low Range offroad all at the same time. I'm wondering if my throw out bearing is bad? It makes this rattle going down the road too?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sure sounds like TO bearing. Luckily its a snap to pull the trans, just pulled mine out yesterday for new bearings/synchros. It took about an hour to remove.

It even looks like one could move the trans back and replace the bearing w/o actually dropping the trans. If, of course, that's actually what the culprit is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yah just take off the inspection plate and look with a light. But I can tell you one thing, when it goes it goes. Once the TO bearing goes you’ll be dead in the water. When mine went I was at a stop light and couldn’t move. I had to start it in gear and just shift using the rpm's because the clutch did nothing. Also you can just shift it back and swap it if that's what you choose to do. One good thing is the bearing isn't much money.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Did you use threadlock on the flywheel bolts? its not unknown for them to fall out, in fact I've never seen an SJ with a full set of bolts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didnt use thread lock on any bolts.I sure hope thats not whats going on,lol. I havent had much time to look at it lately.I try to drive my truck when I can till I have a chance to look at it.Its really loud though..Ive heard a bad TO before and is close but sounds more loose if that makes sense?? Its REALLY rattlely....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you remember what the end of the input shaft looked like? Was it showing any wear like this one?

Another potential problem is the splines on the input shaft wearing causing the TO to fit looser.

I had a rattle like that thinking that it was the front bearing on the transmission. When I pulled the transmission, the bearing was fine, but the input shaft was worn like the image above and the pilot bearing was frozen. Replaced the flywheel (rather than resurface), new pressure plate and clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and input shaft fixed the problem.

It is also possible that a spring or finger on the clutch or pressure plate has broken is rattling around. With so many possibilities, you are probably going to have to pull the transmission to find the problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont recall the shaft looking too bad..When I got the petroworks clutch I got everthing from then at that time except the flywheel which I got at Oriellys.Yea,guess Ill have to find the time to drop it all and see whats up?I was wanting to wait till I did my 1.6 upgrade but that may be a few months off now...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you use threadlock on the flywheel bolts? its not unknown for them to fall out, in fact I've never seen an SJ with a full set of bolts.
It a bolt comes loose where does it go, all the way to the ground or rattle around inside the bell housing? How many bolts are holding the flywheel anyway?
Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well,with the inspection plate on I dont see how it could go to the ground so guess it would stay in there and I think its 4 maybe 5 bolts holding the flywheel on,cant remember exactly?.But,since I posted last I have paid more attention and its really just as loud and rattlely clutch in or not? All I know is its driving me nuts!! lol Ive got to find it!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
well,with the inspection plate on I dont see how it could go to the ground so guess it would stay in there and I think its 4 maybe 5 bolts holding the flywheel on,cant remember exactly?.But,since I posted last I have paid more attention and its really just as loud and rattlely clutch in or not? All I know is its driving me nuts!! lol Ive got to find it!!!
Just curious, this rattle sound does it get louder after you've driven some? Or does it do it as soon as you start the engine?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys,found my rattle....as I was driving down the road yesterday one of my header pipes fell off! Off! It's a pacesetter.I've had it for 2 yrs and never thought about this being my rattle? This pipe wasn't welded! I went back today and found the pipe that came off..No weld! It broke off at the collector and just slid off the other pipe it slid over & fell off?! Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "one of the header pipes fell off". There is only one header pipe. Do you mean exhaust pipe? If so, yes, some are not welded, there are bolt together or clamp and bolt together types.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll try to explain....ok,there are 4 pipes to the header coming off the manifold....one of the single pipes fell off.....so instead of 4 pipes going into one at the collector there's now 3...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts