Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys the 98 tracker I bought that I thought needed a timing belt has a broken crank. Ugh! It only has 102k miles on it. How does a 70hp motor break a crank. It's not ragged out. Really straight little truck. He said he was driving it and it made a noise and quit. What's my best option? Buy a long block or just tear it down and fix what needs repair?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well guys the 98 tracker I bought that I thought needed a timing belt has a broken crank. Ugh! It only has 102k miles on it. How does a 70hp motor break a crank. It's not ragged out. Really straight little truck. He said he was driving it and it made a noise and quit. What's my best option? Buy a long block or just tear it down and fix what needs repair?
Where is it broken at?

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
I'd say long block - cranks don't just break, so whatever caused that crank to break is either still there, or has most likely caused other damage, that you would find when you start the rebuild.

Ummm - I have seen a broken crank before - but not on one of these - where did it break?

One of the British Leyland vehicles that was popular here in my youth had a long stroke pushrod engine with a three main bearing crank, and it was possible under very predictable/repeatable circumstances to get the single row timing chain to jump the sprocket and lock one end of the crankshaft, bringing it to a sudden stop - the flywheel on the other end could not stop as rapidly, and the cranks would break in between either 1~2 or 3~4 where there was no main bearing to support it.

The fix, if you really wanted to run that engine hard, was to use a double row timing chain from the next engine up in the family.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know my mechanic hasn't got that far yet. We thought it was the teeth on the timing belt. Pull timing cover back and bumped engine over and the cam wasnt moving. So today we pulled the cover off, got the belt off and it looks like new. The key way is good everything was tight there. He bumped it over and the front of the crank isn't moving. I hate it so bad.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rats! I wouldn't know what to do in this case either! I wonder what happened! You could find a used engine? How are tracker parts in your town/city? Maybe Fritz, owner of Tracker Ranch could ship you an engine. He's always building engines for Trackers! Might be worth a call to him, or at least for advice.
dne'

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know either. I googled geo tracker broken crankshaft. Didnt find any threads regarding broken cranks. Only broken key way. Only way to find out is tear it down. I guess. That's life lol!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked to the guy I got it from again. He said it had started making a whistling noise when he would try to crank it,only made the noise when he was cranking it and it had lost power and had a vibration. He was driving it and started up a incline and it made a noise and quit. It's a automatic. I hope the tranny is ok. He thought the flywheel center had broken out of the flywheel. I guess I'll find out when he gets it apart.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
He thought the flywheel center had broken out of the flywheel. I guess I'll find out when he gets it apart.
He knows more than he is telling you. Ask him why he thinks this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's difficult to imagine a crankshaft breaking in these little trucks.
1)Just because turning the engine over with the starter and the front crank doesn't turn, maybe the flywheel did something naughty?
2) How about turning the crank bolt with a break over bar and see what happens?
3)I was thinking in another fashion, perhaps a head gasket blew and did a hydraulic abrupt stop? Would that break a crankshaft?
dne'

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I honestly don't know if he does or not. He was a young guy about 17yrs old. He said a mechanic told him that's what it sounded like to him. He had actually pulled the drive shaft to drop the tranny but ended up buying a S10 from his Uncle. I bought it for $800. The body is really straight It has ac cruise 4wd. Brand new top brand new tires. It still has all the factory exhaust on it. It's not butchered at all. I don't mind fixing it because I got it so cheap. Just wonder what happen. If I have to do a complete rebuild ill still be alright on it. The vibration and power loss has me baffled.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
He had actually pulled the drive shaft to drop the tranny but ended up buying a S10 from his Uncle.
Another clue?
I wonder why he would do that? Go in from the tranny end?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder why he would do that? Go in from the tranny end?

What do you mean? He was going to drop the tranny to get to the flywheel. Wouldn't that be easier than pulling the motor? I'm asking.i would think so. I don't think he was much of a mechanic. I believe that's another reason bought another truck.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
If someone wanted to get to the flywheel area and did not have a engine hoist, it can be easier to pull the transmission. But I wouldn't do it that way if I thought there was a problem with the engine side.

As for the broken crank: Like others, I would be concerned with WHY the crank broke.

I suspect you'll need at least a short block. You can use a short block from any G16 16 valve application. (8 valve has different pistons.) If from a OBD1 (1995 or earlier) you'll need a newer style oil pump, due to your crank sensor.

If you go with a long block, you'll need a rear wheel drive cam due to the distributor set-up.

New or rebuilt would be best but the most cost effective would be a low mileage JDM motor. Unfortunately, over the last year or so, JDM TracKick G16 motors are getting harder to find.

A cheap solution would be just to swap the crank with a junkyard or otherwise used crank. (like the one in the worn 'spare' motor sitting in the garage.) Not something I would do to a rig I was going to keep.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What do you mean? He was going to drop the tranny to get to the flywheel. Wouldn't that be easier than pulling the motor? I'm asking.i would think so. I don't think he was much of a mechanic. I believe that's another reason bought another truck.
What I am wondering is why he would suspect the flywheel instead of the timing belt?

Did he rebuild it before this happened?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I talked to him earlier and this is what he said. He said it started making like a whistling noise when he would start it but after it started the noise would quit. However he said there was power loss and a vibration. Why he would keep driving it is beyond me. But the day it quit he said it had lost power and when he started up a small incline it made a noise and quit. I'm wondering if it had a main bearing going bad or spun and it made noise until oil pressure built and the noise would quit. Would that cause power loss/vibration? Maybe the bearing went and slack in between the journal crank caused the crank to break?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If this was a timing belt and you tried to sell it someone would snap it up if the price is right cuz replacing the timing belt is not all that difficult.

If you told someone this crankshaft is broke chances are (if they knew anything about this motor) you would only get scrap price.

Soon enuff you will find that not only is the crank hard to find and is also expensive but then so is the labor to R&R the crank even if your time is free. And a replacement motor will likewise be pricey and then might already have a damaged keyway - but you didn't hear that from me.

Good Luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. He never implied that the timing belt was broken. I believe he honestly thought the flywheel was bad. The timing belt was my wishful thinking because it turned over when I hit the starter so I thought it can't be the flywheel. Either way I'm not going to cry about it. I believe I can part it out for $800 that's what I gave for it. I just need to decide if I want to spend the money to fix it or sell it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.