Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Reno and it seems to have a bad computer. The question is, can I buy a used computer and have it flashed to my car and my VIN? I have been told yes and no. I just dont have the $700 it is going to cost to have it replaced by the dealer. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi 06Reno welcome to the forum! lets start with why you think your ecu has gone bad? whats going on with the car?
people swap ecu's all the time. the only thing i could think of, off the top of my head, that might cause an issue is the vin. the inspections on the newer cars run right out of the ecu. im not sure if the machine gets the vin off of the ecu or if they put it in manually. im sure a dealer has to have a way to program an ecu to match a car if thats whats needed. they would have to program a brand new ecu to match the car also. i know that if you swap gauge clusters with a new one it needs to be programed and the dealer does that. the computer that keeps track of the mileage is inside the gauge cluster. you could just call a dealer, tell them you got an ecu from a junk yard and ask if it needs programming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! At this point I am checking the crank sensor and a couple of other things before I replace the computer. This thing has me baffled.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You should be able to swap a used ECU in from the same year no problem... just don't use any of the older ones (04-05) as they are not drive by wire throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we had it narrowed to a faulty ECM, and we were close. Apparently, a rodent of some sort chewed the wires from the engine to the ECM. Unreal. Thank you guys for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts