9,607 Posts
Replaced the leads?

·
Registered
USA 1994 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6L 16v 5 Speed 4x4
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Replaced the leads?
I ordered new wires & should be in Saturday. I also ordered a header & complete exhaust but won't be here until Tuesday

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok I replaced the wires & still has the issue. My guess is the EGR system somehow. I think I may block it to see if it fixes the issue. I know it will throw a code but if the afterfire goes away I know it is in the EGR system at least

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,742 Posts
The EGR will not initiate an afterfire, a rich mixture with a pirate air source will

·
Super Moderator
25,243 Posts
Is it not time to actually pull your spark plugs and look at them?? Maybe do a compression test? If you have an IR thermometer, check to see that the exhaust pipes for each spark plug is running at about the same temp?? It would be helpful to see if one particular cylinder is involved, or if all cylinders are involved.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
It would be helpful to see if one particular cylinder is involved, or if all cylinders are involved.
That can be accomplished with an IR temp on the exhaust runners..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Is it not time to actually pull your spark plugs and look at them?? Maybe do a compression test? If you have an IR thermometer, check to see that the exhaust pipes for each spark plug is running at about the same temp?? It would be helpful to see if one particular cylinder is involved, or if all cylinders are involved.
Ok will go buy a compression tester & OR thermometer. I have been running the plugs for a week or 2. I will pull & post a pic
I should add that when I start it it has a puff of smoke & from park when I push the throttle decently hard the exhaust does smoke like it is super rich

·
Super Moderator
25,243 Posts
What color smoke??
In any event, it’s probably better to buy tools (like the compression tester and IR thermometer) rather than parts that you are buying just in the hopes that you hit upon the right thing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
What color smoke??
In any event, it’s probably better to buy tools (like the compression tester and IR thermometer) rather than parts that you are buying just in the hopes that you hit upon the right thing.
Light grey smoke is probably the best description

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Light grey that lingers, would be oil burn..

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I started going through some test my Chilton's said to do & when do the Ohms test on the EVAP CP it passes but when I blow on it air passes through it so I am guessing it is bad & trying to find a new one. I will update after it is replaced

21 - 32 of 32 Posts